advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Well done Tony. I wish you many happy years with them!!!!!

What was the rest of it? SME? Thorens or Garrard? Don't tell me it's a TTS3000!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, the amp too?

Bass when no bass lots of cabinet bass
got rid of mine in early 80s, nice with a vase of flowers on them
some pf man will take them off your hands ,get the cash and run
go well with garrard 401

What was the rest of it? SME? Thorens or Garrard? Don't tell me it's a TTS3000!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, the amp too?

A very nice tidy SME 3009 S2 Improved, it's got a metal bearing so I'll probably swap it with the one on the 124, the cartridge was a Stanton, whichever is their equivalent of the Pickering XV15, it has some cheapo generic stylus. The amp is a Quad 33 / 303, the 303 looks to be in very nice condition indeed, I've just cleaned it up today. The 33 is a bit tatty. The tuner is a FM2, the tube one and looks like it will clean up pretty well. Turntable is a Thorens TD-150, surprisingly it's in it's original plinth. It has a nasty dustbug mark, but it's on the brushed alloy top plate so it might scrub off with some elbow-grease. A damn fine haul!

Bass when no bass lots of cabinet bass
got rid of mine in early 80s

You must have had yours in a poor cabinet or driven them with a naff amp as these turn on a sixpence! Bass is deep and tight and only there when it's meant to be. Did you have one of the 70s foam surround models in a flimsy box? If so trust me, these are very, very different!

Tony.

Nice one Tony, has the heart rate returned to normal yet!!

I actually feel relaxed now, I've been totally stressed out for the last 4 days as I feared someone would find the completed listing and attempt to 'gazump' me! I don't ever consider a sale is complete until I get it out of the seller's shop / house etc.

Tony.

Gulp. Close to £2K worth of gear, that's unbelievable. How could someone do such a thing! .. and the add says selling for a friend ?! what like they know how to use ebay ?! omg ...

Well done indeed Tony.

Tony,

Are the alumin(i)um plates covering what would be ports if they weren't there?

Joe

P.S. A silverback gorilla will be very handy to have on hand when you position the speakers.

Oh, there's a Technics dual cassette deck too!

Tony.

PS I'm going to hang onto the Tannoys (obviously!), the SME and the Quad 303 but I'll feed the rest out via the pfm charity room once I've cleaned it up and checked it's all functional, i.e. the 33, FM2, TD-150 and cassette deck can help protect some gorillas or something.

Oh, there's a Technics dual cassette deck too!

Tony.

PS I'm going to hang onto the Tannoys (obviously!), the SME and the Quad 303 but I'll feed the rest out via the pfm charity room once I've cleaned it up and checked it's all functional, i.e. the 33, FM2, TD-150 and cassette deck can help protect some gorillas or something.

That way you preserve your Karma man.

Are the alumin(i)um plates covering what would be ports?

No, these cabs were built specifically for the 15" so they have no port cut-outs at all, plus the aluminium plates are on all internal surfaces, i.e. top, bottom, sides etc, the only area of reduced thickness (i.e. 'only' 3/4" ply) is the area of the baffle board the driver is bolted to, every other panel is getting on for 2" thick!

Tony.

Tony,

You must have had yours in a poor cabinet or driven them with a naff amp as these turn on a sixpence! Bass is deep and tight and only there when it's meant to be. Did you have one of the 70s foam surround models in a flimsy box? If so trust me, these are very, very different!
Unless I'm remembering wrong from my immersion into Tannerdery, the Lancaster came in two versions -- corner and rectangular. And a Lancaster could come with either 12- or 15-inch Monitor Reds or Golds.

So, working through the combinations -- corner vs rectangular (two options), with either 12- or 15-inch drivers (two more options), either Red or Gold (two more options again) -- gives your eight official Lancaster designs.

I imagine they are all different, as would be the custom cabinets based on the corner Lancaster design that you have.

Joe

P.S. Wish you were closer. I'd love to hear other old Tannoys.

In that case Tony you should nick name the Tannoys the Gorillas.

I wonder if the Aluminium is for strength and vibration reduction, as per Johns Sole for the LP12? Materials with differing vibration frequencies cancelling each other out?

They certainly look very well built indeed, even the tied back filling is done very well.

Wonder if they beat originals, I think they might!

advertisement

Back