advertisement

Tannoy Lancaster refurb

skyebridge

A friend has a pair of these to which he is devoted - saying that with his Thorens-124 Decca setup he 'hears details other speakers miss'.

Apparently, however, the rubber surrounds on his concentric (15"?) drivers have perished, and he'd like to know who might be able to expertly refurbish these.

Any advice would be welcome ... I've had a quick look for a relevant thread here on pfm but not spotted one.

Thanks,

Skyebridge

Lockwood Audio would be my first port of call. They refurbed* both my pairs of Berkeleys. Lovely people to do business with. I'd also ask them whether his units are suitable for the hard edge upgrade, and whether they'd recommend doing so.

*Actually, I did the compression drivers myself, Lockwood supplying the parts, but they did the difficult part by reconing all four of the main drive units for me.

HPD's in Lancasters? Not original combination but Lockwood will recone not re-edge.Speakerbits sell genuine foams.

Thanks to grenadier and cooky for the links.

I've not spoken to my friend again since posting, but he said something about the Tannoys had originallly had very soft-compliant surrounds for the speakers, and that later these had been replaced by a firmer rubber surrounds - which in the course of time (perhaps due to storage conditions) had perished.

he's had these speakers for a long, long time and knows what he's about - but he's a workaholic and has only recently moved back to south oxfordshire from cornwall, so i'm using pfm's network to give him an assist.

The Lockwood Audio site looks like a good place for him to start getting advice and estimates.

Skyebridge

advertisement

Back