1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2014

Discussion in 'reference' started by Bemused, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Merlin, those speakers look bloody ludicrous. Get some ATCs ASAP.

Coupe-sport lives in a show-home. I live in a shithouse.

2. mattgbell

mattgbell pfm Member

Nice room, James! Did you have the PMCs with your previous system(s), and how's the Dev at driving them?

3. Robert M

Robert M pfm Member

Some looking amp! :cool:

Why did you get rid of the naim?

4. coupe-sport

coupe-sport pfm Member

Bub - this is a rare tidy shot after the christmas decorations were removed and the dog hadn't moved his vast toy collection back in.

Matt - The PMC's have been with me quite a while now. The Devialet drives them superbly and at levels i didn't think they'd find comfortable. I'm not a volume freak but when i want to turn the wick up, it just goes louder and louder with no hint of strain.

Robert - I just got to the point with Naim of wondering why i really needed so many boxes to play music. The turning point was putting a Nait XS in to my system and finding it didn't really sound too much different so i ended up downsizing to a Nait XS / FC XS and found that to be a very enjoyable combination and rather more consistent in day to day performance. Once i'd satisfied myself that the Devialets internal Ethernet card bettered the NDX as a S/PDIF source then that ended my Naim ownership late last year although i still have my first CB140 tucked away for a future project :)

5. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

How are you feeding music to the Devialet in the absence of the NDX? Do you have a laptop hidden there somewhere or an alternative streaming device?

6. coupe-sport

coupe-sport pfm Member

I have a headless mac mini in the study which runs iTunes (and used to run the UPnP server for the NDX) and shares my library to various Macs and iDevices in the house. It also runs the Devialet AIR application which intercepts any audio feed on the mini and squirts it out over my wired network to the Devialet.

7. AdamWysokinski

AdamWysokinski Mmm... music...

New year, new racks.
    Now I can buy more CDs :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. coupe-sport

coupe-sport pfm Member

Looks great Adam. The Sonneteer gear seems to have a well deserved following on here.

James

9. ArtK

ArtK British HiFi Nut!

Always love your setup. My CD racks are similar except white in color. People talk about seeing their music at a glance with computer audio...after you page through. With music in racks in your room you can truly see it all at a glance. Well done.

10. Tw99

Tw99 source last

A few of my system, including the now-obligatory ATC soft-dome shot. The system's not in any way "tweaky", just a simple setup that gets the job done. No fancy PSUs, just the standard wall-warts. The anti-mode is acting as DAC for the SBT via optical.

You can see the rats nest of signal/power/ethernet cables behind it in some of the shots, and Horrors! a Powerline switch, which makes no difference at all to sound quality :)

The CD player is there, but I've probably used it twice in the last 12 months.

[​IMG]
    DPP_3191 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_3186 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_3188 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_3189 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_3190 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

11. Alco

Alco pfm Member

Looking good, Adam! :) That's quite a CD colletion you have build.

Although I'm used to streaming, for the last 4 years or so now, there's something cool about a large CD-collection stored in a dedicated piece of furniture imho.
    (and I'm probably a dying breed of people who even prefer the good old IR remote over swiping, ticking, choosing my music on an Ipad/pod/phone/tablet)

12. KeithL

KeithL pfm Member

James,
    You have plenty of room on those empty shelves for Alfie's toys now that you don't need those superfluous boxes.

13. AdamWysokinski

AdamWysokinski Mmm... music...

Thanks.
    For a while I was considering streaming, but decided to stick with a CD player and CDs. They look good and for me - they require less hassle (e.g. ripping, tagging, backups). I have also found that when listening to Spotify or iTunes - I tend to skip from song to song, rarely I listen to whole albums, it's good for exploring new music, but physical media are better for experiencing music.

14. ports1000

ports1000 pfm Member

Looks really great Adam,what is the rack?
    Andrew.

15. Paja

Paja aka Infidel

Some photos of my system(s):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 73Chaz

73Chaz pfm Member

Anyway- back on topic: I am quite happy to have progressed from this:

[​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the kitchen we have this (there is another one but i'm trying to avoid triangle related controversy):

[​IMG]

17. 73Chaz

73Chaz pfm Member

Agreed - I need to work on cable hygiene. I've got rid of some of that bundle of cat5 since i took that picture.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

<moderating>

Someone please start a fresh thread for the equilateral triangle speaker positioning thing, it is a valid topic (and for that matter one I always adhere to - I've set every system I've ever owned up in that manner!). I just want to keep aggression, egos etc well off this thread. Apologies to those whose perfectly polite, correct and well meaning advice got caught in the crossfire.

19. Robert M

Robert M pfm Member

Speakers look great.

20. halvis

halvis pfm Member

A big amp for 2014 - lots of smooth power, brilliant!!

[​IMG]

Goldring 2400 cartridge
    SME 3009 arm
    Thorens TD-321 turntable
    Trichord Dino phono stage
    Audiolab 8200 CDQ
    MC² Audio MC650 power amplifier
    ATC SCL 20SL speakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.