1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2014

Discussion in 'reference' started by Bemused, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

That's one thing I miss! No r/c facility here :(

It has been a while since I posted a system shot. Here's where things stand as of Jan 2014 :)

[​IMG]
    My HiFi Jan 2014 by Koopa-Troopa, on Flickr

Lefty

2. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Interesting - this a real bug bear of mine. Most of the time, I listen at low levels and I've found that very few systems are capable of maintaining my interest at these levels. Those that are often get the balance wrong at the other end of the volume scale - i.e. they become aggressive and shouty at loud volumes.

I am familiar with the Fletcher–Munson curves and the justification for having a 'loudness' button for low volumes, but most kit I'm interested in doesn't have this feature.

I've found that the best approach for getting around this problem is to marry high sensitivity speakers to pure class A amplifiers.

Lefty

3. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Looking good Lefty! :)

Good comment re the low volume thing. Where we live now, I'm very fortunate that I can listen at any volume I like (nearest neighbours are 30 yds away) but for serious listening I don't have things loud, and with acoustic/classical listen at the volumes it would be heard live - ie not particularly loud at all.

Best amp/speaker I owned for low-volume was when I had the chance to borrow (whilst he was fixing my Expo IX) an MF Silver pre from Peter at Deco Audio, linked up to my WAD KaT34 power amp. It was uncanny how it could show dynamic differentiation at low volumes. A joy, shame I couldn't afford to buy it.

4. StephenB

StephenB pfm Member

Samsung F8000

5. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Ignore the messy cables at the back and the lopsided TV as I can't be bothered to tidy them yet. The EB2's are new and sound great with the brio

Rega Brio-r
    Rega DAC
    Rega Apollo-r
    Rega RP6
    ZYX R50 bloom
    Tom Evans microgroove
    Mogami interconnects
    Tellurium Q black speaker cable
    EB Acoustics EB2 speakers
    Custom designs speaker stands
    Sonos ZP80
    Sonos Play 1 x2

Think the system has real synergy now and sounds great on most types of music.

[​IMG]

6. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Merlin
    Those Focals are fugley, what model are they?

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No change in the main rig, still as it was last year aside from the Tannoys now have grilles to keep the dust of and protect them from the non-existant sun, plus I've rearranged things on the table (Apollo now by 301, Dac & 34/306 beneath). System #2 (TV/office/studio) is a bit different though:

[​IMG]

Music kit mostly not pictured (Shergold bass, Moog Voyager, MiniBrute, Logic Pro X etc), MacBook Pro, Focusrite ADC/DAC, TV, Sony SACD player, Audio Synthesis PAS-02, Quad 303, Klipsch La Scala, 2 x BK XXLS400-DF subs. Still a work in progress as I intend to fiddle with the La Scalas crossovers etc a bit, but certainly promising.

8. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

New fire Tony? :D

9. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

:D

Diablo Utopia Muzzer and to my eyes, one of the best looking stand mounts I have come across. Each to their own.

10. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Thanks matey :)

How are you getting on with the A30? Am I right in saying that you still have your Sony 770ES as well? If so, are you just chopping and changing between them as the mood takes, or is the long term plan to sell one of them and keep the other?

Also, interesting that you cite the Music First Silver TVC in the system which you said performed well at low volumes. I am also running a TVC at the moment (a Silvercore Preamp One, originally from Peter at Deco) and I must say I'm hugely impressed with it!

[​IMG]
    Silvercore Preamp One by Koopa-Troopa, on Flickr

Lefty

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

More a gaping unfinished hole in the wall covered by a TV standing on a 7" singles flight-case!

12. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Yes, am enjoying the A30 very much - it's a nicely versatile bit of kit, and whilst it doesn't really like the ProAcs (they need a lot more power to be fair) it makes the 2010's sing very sweetly and will summon some decent levels from them.

Surprisingly, the Sony sounds fairly similar both in terms of tonal quality and detail. The A30 has the edge - at a push - on transparency but the Sony wins back on sheer clout and dynamism. I could easily keep either amp but if one goes it'll probably be the A30, unless I can track down some Snell K's. :D

13. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

I never seem to have a permanent configuration for very long these days and sadly don't get enough leisure time to listen either.

Here's one side of the room at the mo though. Will probably be completely different next week !

[​IMG]

14. Ozi2

Ozi2 Veteran Member

Very nice Lotus. Which amplification you prefer as your personal favorite?

15. dss

dss Musical Bons

I've got one of those now is it.

(The turntable lamp, not those other boxes there)

DS

16. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

Still love CJ although I don't sell it new. Love all the Allnic stuff obviously but then it is pretty special, particularly the DHT stuff and the SETs. Not really a solid state man but if I moved back to transistor gear then Vitus would be my pick.

Heard plenty of other kit I like to be honest, there is so much good stuff out there but its mostly valves and more esoteric type of stuff that gets me ... shindo, joule electra, zanden, absolare, wavac etc.

17. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

Maybe a DVD of a nice roaring fire playing on the TV as a stop gap :D

18. coupe-sport

coupe-sport pfm Member

Great to see some superb systems on here as usual.

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Merlin, that's Raiders of the Lost Dub on the left there! I didn't know anyone else had that LP!
    It's one of my favourites, some great Sly + Robbie and it fully complies with my number 1 rule of dub - the best albums have the worst covers.
    Vince

20. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Good spot Vince :)

I think the original UK album was withdrawn for copyright reasons soon after it's release which was a shame. As you say, some great mixes on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.