1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2013 part I

Discussion in 'reference' started by Tony L, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What's your verdict between those two? if you had to choose which would you keep? I'm very curious as they are both on my list as things I might end up with. The Quads as I've wanted to own a pair since I was a kid so I'll be doing that later this year regardless, as a rite of passage if nothing else, the Turnberrys as an option later if I eventually decide to revert to Tannoys (i.e. lose the OCD panic / continual fiddling of running vintage Tannoys in cabinets of unknown quality - I'm just the wrong personality type for DIY stuff, it always ends up driving me nuts!).

2. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

Hi Tony,
    Well it's a good question, one which I'm not able to give a good answer to! The jury's gone out and I'm not sure they're coming back.

I sold my 989s for the Turnberry which I've had for about 2 years now but as superb as they are I did start to miss that 'esl something' and so bought the recently refurb'd 63s about 8 months ago with a view to doing a direct comparison in my own time/room etc. Well I did 6 months with the 63s before finally deciding to flog the Turnberrys. I fetched them from the bedroom to take a few pictures and even stuck an ad on Wigwam. I made the mistake of connecting them up to check they were AOK, big mistake, within 20 minutes of Black Uhuru's Red I realised they were going nowhere!

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to keep both, hence the comment regarding the changeover when the clocks change.

If I had to lose a pair I genuinely don't know which would have to go. I suppose the pair with the best perceived value and since the 63s cost me £1k and the Turnberrys £2.6k then if money was the issue the Tannoys would be the choice. Luckily I don't have to make the choice just yet, but who knows?

Not been too helpful have I, sorry:)

Cheers....Dave

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

David,

Going from 989s to 63s would appear from my standpoint to be a retrograde step. If you had to choose instead between the 989s and Turnberrys would your opinion differ?

4. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I'm not so sure about this. The first and only time I heard the 989s left me unmoved. 63s, OTOH, I thought were sublime.

5. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Tony, did you move the Geithains on or were they lends?

6. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Same here, always is and will be :) It just ain't Hi-Fi otherwise!

7. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Agreed. Owned both 63's and 989's. In my room and for my taste, the 63's won hands down. They both had a great midrange, the 989's better but not greatly better bass, the 63's a more natural top end. I owned the 63's for 15+ years, the 989's perhaps a year and a half.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

This does surprise me, as I thought the 989s were, in effect, 63s with extra bass panels . The only difference between my 2905s and 989s that I have read is that the bass on the 2905s is tighter and more seamless. Presumably because of the bracing rod.

I keep being told by Quad afionados that the 2905s are 'reference' quality, and electrostatically orientated friends have never criticised their treble aspect in my system/room. Their ears are a lot younger than mine,too, but I wouldn't mind having a more 'tangible' bottom end (without adding subs !), crisp though it may be.

9. Werner

Werner pfm Member

ESL-63 is indeed sweeter than the newer ESLs.

10. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Sugden Mystro amp
    Linn LP12 (very modified)
    Manticore Mantra (my old vinyl - Zepelin/Hendrix deck)
    Opera CD120 CDP
    Sonos Connect
    Cambridge Audio DAC
    Neat Elite SE speakers
    QED silver anniversary cable (yes I know the left is too short, buggered my maths :) )

The bottom shelf is reserved for my vortexbox, QNAP and switch that I'm going to localise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Just goes to show there is no substitute for first hand (ear) experience. ;)

12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

I'll get round to the other 'bits' as soon as i've finished the project off. It'll involve a bit of DIY though... ;)

13. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

i'm sure everyones bored of it by now but here goes ....

[​IMG]

but with the new preamp:

[​IMG]

couple of close ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RavenAC/Reed3p/Allnic Puritas + Rega Isis Valve
    Allnic H3000V/CJ GAT/Premier 350
    Avalon Ascendant

A sound I absolutely love but has taken 3 years or so to discover. Never thought musical reply could be this orgasmic and the only area that's significantly upgradeable really now is the speakers.

14. John Channing

John Channing fruit box forever

What have you done to it? I can see a very shiny platter and a Roksan Nima. No power supply visible though?

15. John Channing

John Channing fruit box forever

How did the big Scots arm sound on your deck?

16. koi

koi pfm Member

Got to be one of the best systems on pink fish this problably gulp at the cost :D

17. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

It was pretty good John. It's a good arm IMO. I am more of a unipivot person myself but the SE does have an ebb and flow about it albeit with a 'Linn' signature. The Reed is far more natural sounding and composed with a deeper and wider presentation to the music but if I had an LP12 I would certainly consider using the SE.

18. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Some lovely looking kit and pics lotus. Valve Isis...nice. :cool:

19. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Layers of beauty plinth
    Hercules psu
    Cetech carbon fibre subchassis
    Cirkus bearing
    Linn trampolin

It started out about a year ago as a standard rosenut lp12 and is now like Triggers broom :)

20. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

My fourpenneth as a 57 and 989 owner.

57s have the best perceived treble of them all because they almost only do treble. Despite it being rolled off even more than the newer ESLs if it only does a narrow frequency range you listen only to that and nothing else your perception of that is generally good.

Similarly 63s have a better perceived treble than 989s because 63s do less bass than 989s and you get to concentrate on / hear the higher frequencies more clearly on the 63s.

A good test of the above would be 63s vs 988s or even 2908s (or whatever the very, very newest ones are called). My perception of 63 vs 988 is absolutely no real difference.

All sound is "all in your head" I guess.

This is a perception of built up over a decade or so of going from no ESLs, Arthur "two pairs ESLs" Jackson and listening to lots of others - like occasionally popping in on Roberts ESL journey, or looking at Tony's horrified face when realising 57s have no bass, Tenson's pre-Switerland 63 set up etc.