advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

"Will that be a full Linn system into the 100's then, Sam?"

It would seem so!

However I have yet to make my mind up as to what to do with the LP12 - upgrade it, or downgrade to an RP3 or something like that, or ditch vinyl replay completely. It all depends how my listening habits develop.

Strictly speaking, my vinyl collection is not that big that an expensive turntable is justified, but in the last couple of months I have rediscovered the joy of spinning records, so let's see where this goes.

Formbypc,
with your dining room table scenario the load is distributed over quite a large foor area and therefore multiple joists.
If the Expedit is running parallel to the joist span it could have only one or two joists under it,worth thinking about.

The Expedit, when placed against a skirting board, stands out about 17 inches from the wall. Standard floor joist spacing in the UK is around 16 inches, therefore even if the Expedit is parallel to the joists, there'll either be a joist running along the front edge, or, as will happen in most cases, one odd-spaced one nearer the wall, in which case the Expedit will be right on top of it, the best place for it to be. There'll never be an instance where the Expedit is sitting on flooring boards, 'between' the joists.

No big deal, but essentially I think all this talk of checking with structural engineers etc is much ado about nothing. I said I'd had a fully-loaded Expedit in place for over ten years with no issues, and now that I think about it, it's also had a bookcase in place on one side, and two low-level Ikea units, also packed with books, magazines etc on the other, immediately adjacent.....

Mine's based on Avondale amplification, Jamo Concert 11s and 24/96/192 AK4396 based prototype DAC fed from Macbook Pro/WD Studio 2TB HD.
I used to use the Marantz 85 (Modded for transport duties) as my main transport but now playing 24 bit flac and 16 bit from the HD.
P1040466_zps49b9e141.jpg

Straight up I am a relative n00b to t00bz. I had an Audio Note M2 Preamp a while back before ATCs.

• Pair of CJ Premier 8s
  • CJ Premer 14 preamp just serviced
  • Apple Airport Express
  • Tellurium Q speaker Wires
  • Red ****y Homebrew interconnects
  • Synergistic Research cables (unsure of their name, was given them)

Major major potential for stubbed toes until I get these into position... I guess some plinths are in my future. This is for the bedroom in the loft. I could ask my local furniture maker to make me some plinth things I guess.

I fired up the system for the first time this afternoon and blinked with quiet satisfaction at the gorgeous sound of a 20 year old system in storage since the late 90s started to make music with new Audio Physic Classic 10s. Tellurium Q Speaker wires and some stupidly expensive cables I was given.

1. No one told me how hot these old girls get!
  2. Or how good valves sound.
  3. No DAC, this is straight from the Airport Express.
One amp needs to go off for service as the final Bias LED is always on and any attempt to adjust trips it into protection, theory is a leaky coupling capacitor or something preventing the proper bias voltage on this tube. Big voltages + Safety = dealt with by CJ's approved technicians. All tubes are new Octally Matched (dual Quad) 6550WB 6550 Russia Svetlana Clear Tops from the Tube Zone guys.

....but as a Mono source playing Sinatra, Trentemoller, AES DANA, HIA, Biosphere, Elvis(es) Presley and Costello, the Clash, The Rolling Stones, The Jam, Black Flag. Wow... just wow... I am looking forward to Coltrane, Davis, Blakey and thats before I even cue up classical!

I have two philosophically very different systems now and I like them both.

DSC00413Conrad Johnson premier 14 by eponamusic, on Flickr

This is a form of madness by eponamusic, on Flickr

I need something to put these on by eponamusic, on Flickr

Conrad Johnson P8 110v to 240v by eponamusic, on Flickr

This sounds surprisingly good by eponamusic, on Flickr

Yea, I need to get them on something...
I guess I have a HiFi again. Yay

An afro LP12 would look great with that system, fox :)
And if you're sending one amp in for service, it might be prudent to have them all done. You wouldn't want them overheating.....

Apparently only one needs to go in for service to just fix the problem; the other one is happily biased stable and remaining so -- both shipping off to service would be necessary if I go for the Premier 8A update or the new Capacitor upgrades CJ introduced a few years back.

Mine's based on Avondale amplification, Jamo Concert 11s and 24/96/192 AK4396 based prototype DAC fed from Macbook Pro/WD Studio 2TB HD.
I used to use the Marantz 85 (Modded for transport duties) as my main transport but now playing 24 bit flac and 16 bit from the HD.
P1040466_zps49b9e141.jpg

I love the look of those Jamos. I don't suppose they are still in production?

I heard the standmount version a long time ago and I seem to remember them as being quite desirable.

I love the look of those Jamos. I don't suppose they are still in production?

I heard the standmount version a long time ago and I seem to remember them as being quite desirable.

Unfortuately, they don't make them any more, I heard from a friend in the business, they were just a sort of one-off to see what their design department could do with the right budget. It turns out, they made an absolute classic and that is why I drove 400 miles to pick them up after buying them off Ebay!
The floor standers can be a bit bass heavy with the wrong amplification but with the "bloomless" Avondale amps they are straight and true. The mid-range is to die for (thanks to the Seas Excel magnisium alloy drive units) and the top-end is very natural and extended. They can also be "tuned" into your room/system with the adjustable cross-over.
Like you, I also heard the stand mounts at Lintone Audio years ago with tube amplification and everyone in the shop was in awe of them, that's why I jumped at the chance when I eventually found a pair.

Zucco,

I assume the Avonesque amp is in the large box. That's a big box. Can you give us a run down of the aluminium fronted boxes please.

Love the Jamos, always like most of their models (though many look better than they sound - not in this case).

Thanks.

Zucco,

I assume the Avonesque amp is in the large box. That's a big box. Can you give us a run down of the aluminium fronted boxes please.

Love the Jamos, always like most of their models (though many look better than they sound - not in this case).

Thanks.

From the top we have-
24 bit USB Dac based on the AK4396 chip

Avondale based pre (basically a suped-up Grad 1 and TPX2 power supply in one box)
2012_0423AA.jpg

the big one at the bottom is a NCC200 based dual mono power amp.
09122011801.jpg

I have made a few revisions since the photos were taken but my next two mods will be to implement a separtate clock supply and perhaps a Trichord clock for the Dac and to power the front end of the power amp separately. (like the Voyager) That is unless I decide to build some valve power amps!

Straight up I am a relative n00b to t00bz. I had an Audio Note M2 Preamp a while back before ATCs.

• Pair of CJ Premier 8s
  • CJ Premer 14 preamp just serviced
  • Apple Airport Express
  • Tellurium Q speaker Wires
  • Red ****y Homebrew interconnects
  • Synergistic Research cables (unsure of their name, was given them)

Major major potential for stubbed toes until I get these into position... I guess some plinths are in my future. This is for the bedroom in the loft. I could ask my local furniture maker to make me some plinth things I guess.

I fired up the system for the first time this afternoon and blinked with quiet satisfaction at the gorgeous sound of a 20 year old system in storage since the late 90s started to make music with new Audio Physic Classic 10s. Tellurium Q Speaker wires and some stupidly expensive cables I was given.

1. No one told me how hot these old girls get!
  2. Or how good valves sound.
  3. No DAC, this is straight from the Airport Express.
One amp needs to go off for service as the final Bias LED is always on and any attempt to adjust trips it into protection, theory is a leaky coupling capacitor or something preventing the proper bias voltage on this tube. Big voltages + Safety = dealt with by CJ's approved technicians. All tubes are new Octally Matched (dual Quad) 6550WB 6550 Russia Svetlana Clear Tops from the Tube Zone guys.

....but as a Mono source playing Sinatra, Trentemoller, AES DANA, HIA, Biosphere, Elvis(es) Presley and Costello, the Clash, The Rolling Stones, The Jam, Black Flag. Wow... just wow... I am looking forward to Coltrane, Davis, Blakey and thats before I even cue up classical!

I have two philosophically very different systems now and I like them both.

DSC00413Conrad Johnson premier 14 by eponamusic, on Flickr

This is a form of madness by eponamusic, on Flickr

I need something to put these on by eponamusic, on Flickr

Conrad Johnson P8 110v to 240v by eponamusic, on Flickr

This sounds surprisingly good by eponamusic, on Flickr

If you are looking for a good repair guy for your CJ amps I have used and can recommend Henry [email protected], based in Leatherhead UK. I recently had my Premier 140 and ACT2 serviced by Henry

advertisement

Back