1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2013 part I

Discussion in 'reference' started by Tony L, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Don't you get a sore neck with the tv way up there? And doesn't it get a tad hot when the stove is on?

I must get some decent pics taken and posted...

2. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

No not really. The TV is about 4m away from the us when sitting on't sofa. It's also got a resonable downward tilt. The fire's set well back so heat doesn't effect the TV at all.

3. Tw99

Tw99 source last

You could improve the S/N ratio by at least 9db by having a less loud carpet ! :)

4. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Fair enough. I like my TVs to have their top bezel roughly at seated head height, so that my angle of view is orthogonal to the screen both vertically and horizontally. I also like everything lined up just nice, see, and dammit I can't get out of the house without checking the locks fifteen times or more..... :)

5. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

It's cheaper than LSD. Might trigger bad trips of its own however...

6. mrlamonta

mrlamonta pfm Member

I am loving that set up Tony. It looks nice and (relatively) compact. Can I ask, do you use the DAC with the Apollo? I heard the Apollo the other day as part of a demo and was quite tempted.

7. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Possibly :) still preferable to the standard oatmeal/beige varieties...

8. pil

pil pfm Member

What legs/feet are on the plinth tony?
    I need something to use myself.

[​IMG]

9. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Not much to see here, this is the only visually interesting bit of my system (Grant Lumley GL50A):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of it is built for discrete looks and to sound damn good.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, it's hooked-up via coax. I have to admit I'd probably be entirely content with the Apollo R on it's own, the DAC is really only there to add computer audio functionality / future-proofing as I have all my CDs ripped to the computer anyway.

[​IMG]

They are just a lash-up using some old but unused 1970s polyurethane skateboard wheels and some little adjustable cones I got from eBay (like these, but mine aren't gold). The cones are there so I can level the deck, they just sit in the rear bearing recesses of the wheels. It all seems to work very well, and the 'feet' certainly provide some isolation, e.g. tapping the table shows little breakthrough with the stylus on a stationary record. I've not tried any alternates so have no idea how it stacks up sonically, but it's certainly a nice sounding turntable.

11. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

12. pil

pil pfm Member

Excellent..looks stable to.

13. seoirse2002

seoirse2002 pfm Member

Yes,that Trio has alway been an object of desire for me.....almost got one once,but now way of my range:(

14. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

Some really great looking systems chaps. Love all the valve action.

15. SMU

SMU pfm Member

All really lovely gear here lads, well done.

16. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Lovely pic that.

17. Simonms

Simonms Trade: Simon Mears Audio

Still in the throws of building my second pair of these, so a bit of a mess with all the playing around but here is my set up as it stands, Acoustic Masterpeice Integrated amp (22wpc PP), Well Tempered TT with Reson Reca cart, Sugden phono and DIY Tannoy's.

Some nice pics so far!

Worth a mentioning the kit that i have had running this year at stages that stick out, Lampizator dac 4 very anologue sounding dac so saving pennies and also Hush isolation platform under the TT...marked improvement.

[​IMG]
    DSCN1048 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN1046 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

New Ply cabinets under construction,

[​IMG]
    DSCN1024 by simon ms, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN1026 by simon ms, on Flickr

Just listening to Grimes on this....:)

Cheers Si.

18. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Warning: Contains some Naim bits. Haha!

[​IMG]

19. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Wow! I am not worthy!

20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Contains some rather good Rega bits too. I just love the Isis player.