1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2012

Discussion in 'reference' started by Cereal Killer, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kash

kash pfm Member

Hi, who's the guy in huddersfield that made your speakers?

2. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

3. Zebbo

Zebbo pfm Member

Ha! I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist! :D

4. Zebbo

Zebbo pfm Member

Cheers. The Fusion is a lovely CD player I wanted one for ages but they don't come up for sale S/H very often. I did actually flirt with the idea of selling it as it gets so little use but I still like to have a decent player available when required.

5. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

Been meaning to post this for a while: SBT (ethernetted to a Mac) with B4, NAP 250, and Shahinian Arcs, all running on a dedicated mains spur. Got rid of my CD player and LP12 last year with the intention of getting a really good DAC but this sounds so good at the moment, I don't really feel the urge. Perhaps later in the year...?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what's lurking behind the TV (I use iPeng and an iPad for selection).

[​IMG]

And here's the guts of the B4, completed a few weeks ago - a superb preamp and all that I need since I'm just running the one source (it replaced my 72/hi-cap). Thanks +++ to all of the Top Men in the DIY subforum; I'd never have got there without you!

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Steve

6. topa

topa Sans CDPs

In an effort to spend more time outside my small dedicated music room, here's my newly finished lounge system: (Thanks again to "deltaunit" for shipping the epos over to me!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I didn't bother to clean my work stuff off the table for you.

7. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Well, it was a fabulous day of hifi fettling at my place yesterday, with me giggling with joy and adrenalin, as I rush around the house digging out old LPs to play.

Firstly, I had a second armboard made for the Trio L07D to mount my SME V / Ortofon Cadenza Blue. It looks dwarfed by the Trio arm, but the performance is absolutely stellar - certainly flies in the face of those who might think the SME "boring". :). The SME is forensic in this setting, the Trio more organic, but both supremely enjoyable. The SME can now track a "Grand Canyon" of a warped LP, which it certainly couldn't do when it was on the Inspire Eclipse. This is a FANTASTIC turntable...

Secondly, I had a niggling suspicion that the Jamo R909 speakers were not quite to my taste, with a strange "cuppiness" to the vocals, but as this feeling was gradual, and seemed more distinct on one channel only I suspected a fault. Long story short, it now has a replacement Scanspeak Revelator tweeter in place, and they sound utterly stunning. My Neat MF7s will be for sale soon :)

My deep gratitude and grateful thanks to Richard and Richie from Vantage Audio, who spent many hours of graft in helping me to sort out the speaker issues and install the SME into place today. I took a couple of days off work for this and I've a LOT of music to listen to. I won't get to bed early tonight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

Jamo 909's :) always wanted to hear those. They look great in the piano black.

9. Theo

Theo pfm Member

All my male friends think they look and sound fabulous: every female thinks they look hideous, and take great pity on the missus for having such an intolerant partner :D My plan is to persuade every guy I know that BIG speakers are the way forward, and no, it doesn't matter if your room is tiny, they'll still fit.

10. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

Theo - Nice system. I've always fancied one of those Trios, but I've only ever seen them broken up for spares on ebay. I showed my wife the Jamos and she commented that twin 15" drivers seems like a no brainer to her especially since they make them in red!. Mind you, she has a pair of 15" Tannoy HPDs in her office, so I guess I lucked in.

11. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I actually wanted a red pair, but I got the black pair at a price I found hard to refuse. The piano black finish is as good as I have come across. IMO, they're design classics. 4 x 15" units is nice too :)

12. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

pffft.

They've got a gloss finish, are a proffessionally made speaker, and are very thin from the side.

Slap those ladies with a kipper.

[​IMG]

Try these in your living room. They no longer sit on the home-brew ''air platforms'' which were an experiment in being 'neighbour-friendly'.

As you can see, I'm a long time member of the 'big speakers club' !!

13. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

[​IMG]

here is the system above for anyone interested. It is messy from this shot, but I can't see any of that from where I sit.

brief summary:

top:
    NAS mentor/kuzma/clearaudio, mac mini & h/drive
    middle:
    Tribute Autoformer pre, Young Dac, Ear 834p, wave mechanic
    bottom:
    LFD monoblocks

14. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Lovely room & system there, and yes, they're not too big. It's all about perspective:

[​IMG]

15. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Summary: Mark Grant Mains leads and G2000HD interconnects with WBT Nextgen 0110 ag plugs

Music Works Reflex mains block, dedicated mains, consumer unit and earth.

Music Works Reference tables

Audiolab 8200 CDQ with the upgrades

Tube Distinctions grounded grid pre, offboard PSU, Ecc82 valves

Tube Distinctions 45 Watt Class A KT120 Copper amp

Tannoy Turnberry SE loudspeakers hooked up with reterminated Sterling Black Mamba cable.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Strange place to have a sofa, Steven, or is it distorted photographic perspective?

17. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

View, lying on the other sofa...

[​IMG]

The RH Dual Concentric driver is not obscured by the sofa.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Visually, perhaps not, Steven; nor even, maybe, the high frequencies, but considerable absorption of everything else must occur, surely.

Not something I'd impede lovely speakers like those with, though, visually or aurally.:)

19. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

And the table! OMG!

20. Puffin

Puffin pfm Member

Is that someone behind the sofa with their hand on a plant doing shadow puppet stuff?:D