advertisement

System pics 2012 #2

I heard those Focal speakers once in a hifi shop. Sounded bloomin marvellous.
The speaker mounting bolts look a bit wierd.....is that the normal arrangement, some bolt head out, some reversed? Thats not the same as on my 1008be's.
Just a thought.
Matt.

Two slightly different tweeters in a shiny box! ;-)

:D

Not quite me normal M.O. but hey - emancipation across the nation.

The mounting bolts are also the grill mounts - hence the four that look odd.

Markus. I like to live dangerously. My problem was I was spoilt with the TAD's and I'm a fussy bugger coming back to all this. The Tannoys are great speakers. I was aware of their failings mind. I'm aware of the Focal's failings too - but they aren't where I was necessarily expecting them.

Thanks Ian. If you see me posting effusively about supports, cables or tweaks of an indiscriminate nature, please send a hit man. You know where I am.

Hi Cyanosis,

Pl can you share name of electronics?

Hello SoundFreak

Completely missed this post, but looks like your question was promptly and accurately answered by Mr Cereal Killer. Thank you!

Lyngdorf............

Amp: TDAi 2200
CD player: CD1
Speakers: Wilson Benesch Discovery

Finally got my 401 plinthed..

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8665.jpg

You mean they've only peeled the paint off and left the wallpaper intact? :D

My dear Dev,

there wasn't any left after I turned the Tannoys up loud once ;)

Actually the Focals are remarkably smooth. A long running in process I'm told - I have a sub on the way to help them out later in the week.

I always think there are two parts of the music signal, the tonal signature and the energy signature. Getting both right is the challenge and the Tannoys get the latter but distort the former. The Focals are the opposite.

How are you finding the integration between the Focal's & the sub? (which sub is it, btw?)
I tried a small sub with SBL's once but was never full happy with the set up. Some tracks would be great, but there were always certain tracks where the bass timing was screwed up.
I'm really happy with my Focal's (only the 1008be's but they are superb in my system & room) but a successful sub would always be something for me to consider.
Matt.

It's too early to say really Matt. In the past it's taken months to get the integration right and it brings up room issues on some tracks that I avoided before.

The sub is a Linn AV 5150 - old but I've always admired it's sensible design - isobaric loading and proper amplifier. It only works over the bottom octave but I just find that if you have an extended treble, you really want to balance it with an extended botto end.

Seems to be working well at the moment although the Focals don't really need much help.

Ahh, OK thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for some utopias on the 2nd hand market!
Matt.

It's too early to say really Matt. In the past it's taken months to get the integration right and it brings up room issues on some tracks that I avoided before.

The sub is a Linn AV 5150 - old but I've always admired it's sensible design - isobaric loading and proper amplifier. It only works over the bottom octave but I just find that if you have an extended treble, you really want to balance it with an extended botto end.

Seems to be working well at the moment although the Focals don't really need much help.

merlin, I used to own the 5150 when I had Linn 5140` with Naim electronics. The Linn sub is aestheticaly well designed and certainly added not only more low end but actually helped make the upper range sound more organic as well.
I no longer have either Linn speakers and am enjoying my brand new Focal Electra 1038 be`s. I have a very large room so getting the Diablo wasn`t something I considered. How do you like the Focal`s. You always left the grills off?

I always thought that coiling cable was only a bad idea if said cable carried a reasonable current (e.g. the cable in an extension reel) which might then heat up and the wire burst through the insulation. Extremely unlikely for speaker cable and I can't see if applying to line-level signals (e.g. interconnects or balanced xlrs).

I have seen a coiled UK mains extension melt on a carpet and nearly cause a house fire. Be careful. Could this happen with speaker cable? You'ld have to be pumping out some proper levels. Imagine what the speakers would sound like if you just plugged 240V AC into the terminals. Loud.

merlin, I used to own the 5150 when I had Linn 5140` with Naim electronics. The Linn sub is aestheticaly well designed and certainly added not only more low end but actually helped make the upper range sound more organic as well.

Hi David. The latter was the reason for trying the 5150. Just hoping that it can add a smidgeon of body to the lower midrange and increase the scale a tad.

The Diablo's have plenty of bass for my needs and it's only really the bottom octave that is missing. What they lack, compared to speakers like the larger ATC's and the Tannoys and JBL's I've had, is that weight and drive in the upper bass lower mid, that only a big cone can produce.

But aside from that, they are quite possibly the most authentic sounding speaker I've had through the door and remind me a lot of my TAD horn setup (from about 1khz upwards!).

I did take the grills off straight away. What is your experience? Certainly the grill on the tweeter needed to come off - that made a big difference to my ears.

Banjoman - That's a beautiful lump of timber. Is it veneered or solid?

Thanks Keith
It is veneered - rosewood veneer on a layered solid birch ply plinth. Wish it was solid, but it still looks lovely in the rosewood finish and is really heavy

Hi David. The latter was the reason for trying the 5150. Just hoping that it can add a smidgeon of body to the lower midrange and increase the scale a tad.

The Diablo's have plenty of bass for my needs and it's only really the bottom octave that is missing. What they lack, compared to speakers like the larger ATC's and the Tannoys and JBL's I've had, is that weight and drive in the upper bass lower mid, that only a big cone can produce.

But aside from that, they are quite possibly the most authentic sounding speaker I've had through the door and remind me a lot of my TAD horn setup (from about 1khz upwards!).

I did take the grills off straight away. What is your experience? Certainly the grill on the tweeter needed to come off - that made a big difference to my ears.

Merlin, I have had the 1038`s about a week. I took the tweeter cover off right away and removed the midrange grill since yesterday. Leaving bass grills on now and will wait couple weeks to get to know them. I find them very lively and more efficient than my previous speakers (Piega C8Ltd). I am driving them with Naim cds2/52/135s and very large room 30x20ft with very high ceiling. Run them down the long axis about 42 inches from back wall. They fill room nicely. My ideal sitting position about 8-10 ft from speakers but I often sit in reading chair on other side of room for a different but nice perspective. They seem well made and veneer is gorgeious (champagne color). For pics check out my thread on Naim forum.
david

advertisement

Back