advertisement

System pics 2012 #2

Mike

back in the world of hifi again after a long time away, done all the Cols this year then?
System is looking good , shame about the tannoys
Cheers
john

Looking good Merlin, love the Berning amps. Do you think you will stay with Tannoys? I've heard Keith L's nicely spruced up Cheviots with his ZH270, I like that a lot.

Steve

Thanks Clay. The newer Berning seems to my ears to be just that little more cultured and civilized than the old ZH270. It seems less variable too (lower output impedance) into different loudspeakers but is obviously limited in terms of real power. Lovely amps really. It reminds me why I went back to passive speakers. I have the pre here at the moment too. Gordon I really can't say at the moment as I've yet to try it on anything else. There is certainly plenty of isolation but that should be inherent in the deck. I have a BCD1100 which I intend assembling at some point and using that for comparison purposes. Rather heavy though. I did try the Monaco in normal configuration and it really doesn't move with 55kg of tt sitting on the top.

Hi Merlin,

Did you ever compare the Tom Evans Linear A or B to the David Berning amps?

Regards,
Peter

Funnily enough Peter I took a ZH270 up to Tom's about four years ago now and we compared it with the Linear B's .

A very close run thing - Tom's amps were the only ones that got close for me. I think the ZH230 is an improvement over the previous Berning but I still suspect it would be close. Sonically they share the same DNA. The Berning is of course prettier and a lot less expensive to run :)

Steve. The Tannoys work very well with the Berning - particularly the the ZOTL Pre in the system. I just bought them from someone who turned out to be a scally and so I am returning them on principle. A shame but they aren't without their weaknesses so I'm sure I will enjoy finding alternatives.

John. I'm currently looking at moving this lot (with different speakers) down to the Vercors as the cols of South Bucks are rather unremarkable. Are you heading to the mountains next year?

I find there's something wrong about the modern Tannoy look. Are you returning to Proacs?

Paul

Modern Tannoys? ;)

To be fair Paul, they sound good - work well in the room and have some outstanding qualities.

Proacs are not really cut out for a system like this IME. Something more revealing, efficient and dynamic. But I'm in no rush as I might be moving to a larger place in SE France so any big expenditure will probably wait until I know what to look at.

John. I'm currently looking at moving this lot (with different speakers) down to the Vercors as the cols of South Bucks are rather unremarkable. Are you heading to the mountains next year?

The Tramontana in spring and Dolomites in summer
Vercors is a good place to base yourself
Have a great Xmas and a even better new year
Oh and welcome back !

Cheers John. Ah Dolomiti! Do the Tre Cime from Cortina - it's an absolute arse.

You'll be most welcome in France for a training weekend anytime.

Now any recommendations for a replacement speaker would be gratefully received.

Peter, they're Grand Prix Audio Monaco modular stands.

Merlin, thanks for answering my questions.

Thanks for the answer , I do not remember seeing these racks before and I am impressed

Hi Peter,

Grand Prix Audio been around for a while now - not sure who distributes them over here now. They even build a lovely DD turntable.

My Monaco is modular as you can see and should be stacked as one unit. I put the components that matter most on the main unit where they really benefit from the isolation. I just prefer the look as it doesn't dominate the living room.

Nice. Isn't it generally accepted that coiling cable, as behind your speaker, is a bad idea? Or is that nonsense? Aren't you supposed to loop it like laces? As it were...

Nice. Isn't it generally accepted that coiling cable, as behind your speaker, is a bad idea? Or is that nonsense? Aren't you supposed to loop it like laces? As it were...

I doubt such an effect, even if it exists, would be audible to me, so I'm not worried about it. Similarly I have a homeplug Ethernet switch in the same wall socket as the system & can't hear that; the system is sitting on some normal shelving without any added foo and I can't hear that either !

I always thought that coiling cable was only a bad idea if said cable carried a reasonable current (e.g. the cable in an extension reel) which might then heat up and the wire burst through the insulation. Extremely unlikely for speaker cable and I can't see if applying to line-level signals (e.g. interconnects or balanced xlrs).

Current state. Apart from the CD3.5, it's all new to me in the last year or so. That's what reading PFM to often does to you
That's a very smart and tidy system - I am jealous. No matter what I try, my system always looks like a rats nest of cables and abandoned boxen.

I must try to fix this before the muthas arrive...

advertisement

Back