advertisement

System pics 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great looking pair of Tannoys and a very sweet looking system.
I love the look of the Weiss kit. The big coloured buttons and solid plain looks - proper kit :)

Rob,

Now I remember I was impressed when I heard your Tannoy LGMs a few years ago. I think that gave me the confidence to take a punt on the Cheviots.

Keith

Those fascia rings make all the difference for me, I can't stand the messy foam and screw look of the standard drivers.

Those fascia rings make all the difference for me, I can't stand the messy foam and screw look of the standard drivers.

You know HPD drivers well. Yes the foam surround clamps really look naff. I had the choice of removing them to paint them black with the risk of disturbing the cone suspension, or making "fascia rings". The rings are blue tacked in position so that they can be removed for future driver maintenance. I found out from Lockwood why the clamps had foam on them. The foam forms a seal when the drivers are rear loaded, surplus to requirements for front loaded Cheviots.

Hi Keith.

Are you enjoying the Berning? - Another chap I know likes them with Tannoys.

Its an amp that blew me away when I heard it a few years ago.

My Berning and Tannoys have been together since the beginning of March. They pair together beautifully; both fugly in appearance, both exceptional in sound. Needless to say both are keepers.

What modifications did you make to your Numark? I have the same turntable and have been thinking of replacing it with a Technics.

Hi sorry for the delay in reply. The arm has obviously been replaced with a RB301 using a origin live adaptor plate (the same you fit to an SL1210 or similar), the steel plate inside the deck has been damped, and the links between the top half and bottom half have been removed (though I may add a modified one back in again at some point as an experiment). The platter has been damped underneath with latex glue.
In the near future I plan to remove the power supply/transformer.

I never heard the original arm as I bought the turntable with the arm already missing (I had a RB301 already anyway) so can't comment on that, I do prefer a Rega arm on the Technics though.

The build quality and finish on the Technics SL1210 is FAR better than the Numark, although there isn't much between them sound wise as those who visited Scalford this year may have heard.

MF7010.jpg

Neat MF7
A nice step up from MF5's.

uncle P, you've gone all future-uncle!

space uncle

Not really bottleneck. Apart from now having a vinyl fetish the system is a natural progression from when I first posted on zerogain all those years ago - same Perreaux amp (though admittedly not the exact one I had back then), a newer and better Wadia and the next step up the ladder from my previous Revels.

The fact that in the intervening 5 years I have been through about a hundred different components just to end up pretty much back where I started is not relevant:rolleyes:

My Berning and Tannoys have been together since the beginning of March. They pair together beautifully; both fugly in appearance, both exceptional in sound. Needless to say both are keepers.

Lovely pics Keith, having had the pleasure of listening to them with you, they sound great. Very nice simple set up.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back