advertisement

Sulfasalazine

Aye, had my eyes tested, and was supplied with a card to regularly test my eyesight against. I noticed a problem when I was driving - things in the distance started to swim about in a most disconcerting way. Luckily, my wife was in the car & took over driving.

Sorry to learn you had problems with etanercept. I've been on it for over a couple of years so far, and have yet to contract any infection. Fingers crossed...

It must have been scary having that happen, especially when driving. I hope entanercept keeps working for you. It worked wonders for me for 3 months before disaster hit. Just in case you don't know, there's a couple of new drugs that are said to be very good just becoming available. So if you do have any problems with etanercept in the future then there's other stuff to try. My rheumatologist did investigate them, but like the vast majority of RA meds they are immune suppressors so no use to me. Think I need the drug companies to find some sort of miracle drug to help me.

Hope you stay on top of this bloody awful disease.

Thanks muffer. It's a real curse, & the medication we take to try & make things bearable can give us even more problems. An NSAID I was put on at one stage has caused permanent damage to my kidneys; diclophenac's given me chronic gastritis. So it goes...

Yeesh... Hope it's improving!

Thought I had it bad having pipes shoved down my throat to see why I was suffering from such bad acid reflux... A horrible 2 weeks, sounds nowt compared to your issues

I've had pipes stuffed into just about every place they can be stuffed without too much fuss I may add (still am on a regular basis in one particular orifice) but am dreading having to have one stuffed down my throat, which knowing my luck won't be too far away as I also have acid reflux.

Thanks muffer. It's a real curse, & the medication we take to try & make things bearable can give us even more problems. An NSAID I was put on at one stage has caused permanent damage to my kidneys; diclophenac's given me chronic gastritis. So it goes...

It's toxic stuff innit! Sorry to hear about your kidneys. My very first urinary tract infection, which I left for far too long before seeing my GP, did a little damage to one of my kidneys, though nowhere near as bad as yours by the sound.

Fifteen years ago when I went to see my GP for the the results of a blood test to find why my knees and feet were hurting much of the time. I remember thinking why has she got such a dour expression on her face when she told me that I had rheumatoid arthritis...it's only a bit of arthritis after all I thought to myself. Little did I know what lay ahead at the time!

Diclophenac absolutely crucified my gut, as did cocodamol... I’d got a full blown, as bad as it gets flare up, I couldn’t even roll onto my side of lift my arms when that happened. I was even being spoon fed at the time and what those drugs did to my stomach just topped it off. I just dosed up on oramorph and tramadol and tried to sleep through it, I’ve not dared to touch either drug since and now just use paracetamol, tramadol and sometimes oramorph if I’m really struggling. You’re pretty limited with pain killers and particularly anti-inflammatories if you have asthma.

That sounds fun! :eek: Tramadol & paracetomol are my current pain killers of choice. I tried oramorph back in my cold turkey episode because tramadol wasn't doing much, but it didn't help much either. GP decided to try slow release morphine tablets, which did help but seriously constipated me so I had to stop taking them. GP has stopped me taking anti inflammatories because of acid reflux. I still have small stock left over and treat myself to one when I'm having a really bad flare. It has to be seriously bad though as a bout of bad acid reflux is guaranteed for the next couple of evenings. I've had to stop my daily aspirin for the same reason. Seems on times that I just can't win never mind what I try...muthafuckin' disease as it is! :mad:

I've had pipes stuffed into just about every place they can be stuffed without too much fuss I may add (still am on a regular basis in one particular orifice) but am dreading having to have one stuffed down my throat, which knowing my luck won't be too far away as I also have acid reflux.

It wasn't fun

They offered a 'sort of anesthetic' but was told it doesn't work with everyone... No ta, I just told them to get it over and done with and in they went

Found nothing, made my eyes watter a touch haha :rolleyes::D

Then had a measuring device down my throat for 48hours; that wasn't fun either.. (down through nose into throat etc)

Turns out I under produce stomach acid, which in turn is what gives me the pain due to it being so strong... More or less sorted though now with natural remedies (charcoal etc) and staying away from things like white/sparking line, fizzy water, coke/lemonade etc - all of which I hardly ever touch anyways... Funnily enough (and thank goodness) bourbon and whisky gives me no issues :D

Pastry is bloody murder though!

Last edited:
I had the gastroscopy thing - quite unpleasant. If there's a next time I'll ask to be tranquilised.

I've discovered a pretty effective fix to surpress gastritis. Every morning, and sometimes during the day, I eat two dessertspoons of natural plain yogurt. I also take a teaspoon of “Superfood”, a mixture of dried powdered leaves, in some warm water. Tastes a bit like stagnant pond water, but it definitely helps the old guts. Cutting out alcohol also helps. But I'm not going to do that!

It wasn't fun

They offered a 'sort of anesthetic' but was told it doesn't work with everyone... No ta, I just told them to get it over and done with and in they went

Found nothing, made my eyes watter a touch haha :rolleyes::D

Then had a measuring device down my throat for 48hours; that wasn't fun either.. (down through nose into throat etc)

Turns out I under produce stomach acid, which in turn is what gives me the pain due to it being so strong... More or less sorted though now with natural remedies (charcoal etc) and staying away from things like white/sparking line, fizzy water, coke/lemonade etc - all of which I hardly ever touch anyways... Funnily enough (and thank goodness) bourbon and whisky gives me no issues :D

Pasty is bloody murder though!

It doesn't sound like fun, especially that nose/throat job. Glad they didn't find anything nasty.
A friend of mine stopped them doing something similar when they tried shoving a tube up his nose when he was having stomach issues...big bloody baby that he is!;)

I also refused anaesthetic when I had a fair sized bladder stone removed over a year ago. They had to zap it to bits with a laser so they could remove the resulting rubble via my urethra. It wasn't particularly uncomfortable, but I did get a bit fed up with how long the procedure took. I had another 5 small stones removed a couple of months ago. Didn't fancy having 5 of the buggers, no matter how small, dragged through my urethra this time, so decided to get anaesthetised and will do so again if I need more removed in the future.

I had the gastroscopy thing - quite unpleasant. If there's a next time I'll ask to be tranquilised.

I've discovered a pretty effective fix to surpress gastritis. Every morning, and sometimes during the day, I eat two dessertspoons of natural plain yogurt. I also take a teaspoon of “Superfood”, a mixture of dried powdered leaves, in some warm water. Tastes a bit like stagnant pond water, but it definitely helps the old guts. Cutting out alcohol also helps. But I'm not going to do that!

If I ever need to have a gastroscopy I'll definitely ask to be tranquilised. I've heard the stuff they administer spaces you right out so you're oblivious to what's going on, which sounds good to me. I've recently started eating natural yogurt and taking probiotic capsules. Not sure if they're helping any but my stomach does seem to have improved a little over the past week or so. Also tried CBD oil for my RA. Took it for 10 weeks to give it a good chance, but it did nothing. Wasn't cheap either. I've heard it does help some folk though. That Superfood sounds gross. I'm all for trying new stuff though, so might give it a go if my stomach doesn't continue to improve .

I had the cameras in from top and bottom. I managed fine without any sedation but of course YMMV. The down side of the sedation is that they have to keep you in until it has worn off.

I had the cameras in from top and bottom. I managed fine without any sedation but of course YMMV. The down side of the sedation is that they have to keep you in until it has worn off.
I can’t even manage a dental X-ray without gagging, even the cold air makes me gag when I move from a warm environment so I’d definitely need knocking out for a camera down my throat!

Omeprazole or lansoprazole will give the best relief.

I used to take 40mg of omeprazole, but have reduced it to 20mg since I stopped taking daily aspirin. Hoping to stop omeprazole completely as I've heard it can cause stomach issues of its own..not sure exactly what they are though. Obviously there's a risk involved in stopping aspirin as I had a mild heart attack about 12 years ago. Have tried clopidogrel and coated gastric resistant aspirin but they made no difference. Apparently there's no suitable blood thinning meds left for me to try, so it looks like I'll just have to take my chances as I can't put up with that awful acid reflux, especially after reading somewhere that it can have a negative effect on my lung condition.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!...same thing applies to my other health conditions and related medication.

Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to do. Some of the prescription meds I've been taking have caused me at least as many, if not more problems than these bloody diseases. Along with recently starting probiotics, I've also been taking manuka honey for the last 12 month as I heard it can help prevent urinary tract infections. Not sure if it's helping any as I stopped all of my RA immune suppressing meds around the same time. Somethings doing the trick though as I've not had a single UTI for over a year, which believe me is something! The added bonus with manuka honey is that it tastes lush.

Omeprazole or lansoprazole will give the best relief.
I depend on 40mg Omeprazole... my GP accidentally missed it off my prescription once and I was too unwell to go out and get it sorted so I left it a few days... big mistake, I felt like I'd been drinking hydrochloric acid.

40mg Omeprazole for me too. Been on it for ages, with no obvious side effects. I was originally told I should be able to stop taking it after a few months - no way!

advertisement

Back