advertisement

Suggestions for video camera

PeteyB

Me and the family are off to Oregon (coast and then Portland for the music) shortly and I'm looking out for a good, small and easy to use (HD?) video camera for around £200-300. Any suggestons gratefully received.

I know most are HD nowadays but does it have to be HD? Remember that video should just be about capturing specific candid moments to bring back memories.

Its shouldnt have to be 5 hours of full blown travelogue.

Then with HD you have to chunk it down, compress it if you want to send it to folks.

Plus most people dont enjoy watching more then 10 minutes of anyones holiday footage (no matter what they might say to your face).

I use a Sanyo X-acti. It takes quality SD 640x480 video so it looks fine on a PC or a TV and it captures those candid moments just fine, plus the clips are easily emailed, YouTubed type thing. Its also pocket sized, good battery and takes decent still shots too.

By the way I have been to Oregon and its superb. The coast road is great fun with plenty of places to stop and see. If you like I'll pull together a list of things to look out for?

There is an exotic petting Zoo down the lower coast that I got to have a tiger cub sitting on my lap and bottle fed it. Oh and got to stroke a snow leopards tail! Was superb.

hd and easy are not two words that go together, not unless you just want to dump everything you shoot without editing it.

full Hd files are huge, gigantic, massive, cumbersome. `get a decent sd camera then at least you'll be able to make nice little clips.
Of course if you have a quad processor PC with 8 gig of ram, 1TB of hard disc space and Premier CS4 or Apple final cut pro, then jump right it.

Bt otherwise having video on a camcorder and only being able to plug it into the tv will become a major ass pain.

advertisement

Back