advertisement

Subwoofers - advice needed

Whaleblue

Southbound
My lounge 7.1 system is relatively modest in terms of the speaker quality, though I’m very happy with my movie experience. Speakers are Monitor Audio Radius for the 5, with the 2 ceiling also from Monitor Audio (flush mounted in ceiling things).

Finally, the sub. Also a Monitor Audio bit of kit. It’s started to buzz/him quite loudly when on, even if the phono cable to the (Arcam AVR550) is disconnected (at the sub end).

It may be repairable, but I’m wondering if an upgrade to a REL will reap many benefits? If so, just a t-5i? Or right up to a Serie 3?

It’ll be 90% for movies, 10% music, in a room that’s about 6m by 4m (20ft by 14ft) - including the alcove into which I project, and in which said sub is likely to reside - though I understand that the REL can be WiFi connected to allow alternative placement. Space wise it’s best left where it is though.

I’ve never given subs a lot of thought, so advice much appreciated.

I'd get a BK sub

Handbuilt in UK with proper amplication
No class D Chinese bling

Available direct from maker or as b-stock on ebay, both mine was sourced there with no issues whatsoever

Alcove placement might be challenging

+1 on the BK. I have two XXLS400 and am delighted with them. Compared to the competition they are underpriced too IMO.

Hmm, I’d prefer downfacing on grounds of aesthetics and protection of the driver, but would I be right in thinking that forward facing would be better in the alcove setup?

Looking at the BKs, they do each model in both configurations. The new P12-300 looks an excellent price.

Last edited:
Hmm, I’d prefer downforce no on grounds of aesthetics and protection of the driver, but would I be right in thinking that forward facing would be better in the alcove setup?

Looking at the BKs, they do each model in both configurations. The new P12-300 looks an excellent price.
Probably not important. Nor is brand. I have 2 subs that were intended for car use and run off a car amp, presumably Class D. It works fine. "Class D bling"? Hardly, it's a black metal box, same as all of them. Does it work? Bet your life, it's great. Tuneable from "very subtle, don't know it's there" via "party time!" to "Stunt Bass To Impress Teenagers" at the turn of a dial.

If you need a new sub then BK are superb. I always bought REL's then decided to try a BK XXLS400, Was so impressed by build quality and performance I promptly bought a second one. Don't be fooled by the amateurish website and pics, they are superbly built, use excellent drivers and powerful amps. No distributors or dealers to feed makes them exceptional VFM.

Whether you go DF or FF won't matter at low bass frequencies, choose purely on aesthetic preference. A sealed sub will be easier to place but wont go quite as low as ported.

Last edited:
My MA FB212 hummed then gave a final dying thump so if there's no obvious simple fault i'll be using a BK plate amp on it.

Good rep and near enough to go and give them aggravation if it fails.

Yes, BK subs are a wise choice. I've owned a couple in the past, & I currently use one of their 1,000 W class "D" plate amps as a replacement for the original one in my SVS sub., which died an early death & they wanted silly money for its replacement. The BK's just as good as the SVS one.

The BK P12 300DF has been in for a couple of weeks now. I’m impressed. It’s so much more nuanced in its delivery than the MA was, and in Satin White is an almost perfect match for my AV unit.

Thanks all for the pointer. :)

I've preferred a downward firing sub, for whatever reason. It would probably need a physicist or acoustician to examine my room and work out why. I had a BK forward firing and always found it tricky to integrate. Also it was quite buzzy with my mains. Now I've got an Elipson Planet sub, which is quite cheap and Class D, but find it surprisingly good. Worth noting that I have never once liked a Class D stereo amplifier used separately, but I don't have any problem with Class D in subs.

advertisement

Back