advertisement

Stylus for A&R P77

Expert Stylus Company - no website but easy to Google. I've got a couple of used ones still in good nick if you fancy making me an offer via dm

Gerlando.

Expert Stylus made the original stylus assemblies for A&R. They can still supply a brand new original spec replacement stylus. I bought one earlier this year as a spare for my Garrott P77i.

Here is my email trail to Paul Hodgson from earlier this year with their email and phone number. They had to make one for me, but it was delivered within a week of the order.

Best wishes,

Charlie

On 10/03/2016 8:23 AM, [email protected] wrote:
Dear Mr Chan

Thank you for your confirmation, we will email you when the P77 assembly is ready and also give you our bank details. Payment can also be made by credit card if your prefer.
Kind regards
Expert Stylus & Cartridge Co
Telephone No: +44(0)1372 276604

Paul Hodgson
On 09/03/2016 2:34 PM, H Y Chan wrote:
Dear Mr Hodgson,

Thank you very much for taking the time to talk just now. I would like to order a P77 replacement stylus with a Paratrace tip to go on my Garrott P77 (or A&R P77). I understand that the cost is £75 inc P&P. I am very happy to pay by BACS, once you have made this up. Once this is ready, I would be grateful if you would send it to my work address.

I would also recommend Expert Stylus Co. As stated above they made them for A&R Cambridge.

If you want one don't hang around though. They have very few of the original P77 assemblies left on which to mount the diamond. Oh, and for the money a bargain IMO!

Dear all,
I need a new stylus for my A&R P77 cartridge.

The only possible solution seems to be the Musonic aftermarket stylus

http://www.musonic.co.uk/c77-e77-p77-elliptical-stylus-p-18840.html

Does anyone knows this stylus maker?

Many thanks.
Mauro
Musonic stylus E257 is not good for A&R 77. I have one, and it's destroy mu cartridge. I wrote mail to Musonic, and they told me it's not true what i'm talking, becouse they sold hundreds of that stylus. But stylus is not fiting cartridge good. It's to big. That stylus is for Shure N95, and with A&R 77 is compatible N91.
dHL3hm

fVSfv6

If you want one don't hang around though. They have very few of the original P77 assemblies left on which to mount the diamond.

Wouldn't it make sense for Expert to take existing C, E, & P stylus assemblies in on partial trade?

Musonic stylus E257 is not good for A&R 77. I have one, and it's destroy mu cartridge. I wrote mail to Musonic, and they told me it's not true what i'm talking, becouse they sold hundreds of that stylus. But stylus is not fiting cartridge good. It's to big. That stylus is for Shure N95, and with A&R 77 is compatible N91.
Regarding the fitting of other makers styli to Supex SM100, Rega R100, A&R C, E & P77, Mission 773MM/Solitare, as well as to other branded versions of the same basic cartirdge design; one important thing to note is that there were two slightly different metal cans (aka metal shield); 1) typically an earlier incarnation, with a diamond shaped hole for the stylus assembly to be inserted into that is fully located on the front angled face of the can (some of these variants also had open mounting lugs) vs. 2) the diamond shaped hole partially traverses both the front and bottom of the can (like many Shure models) - IOW a V-shaped cut is visible on the bottom of the cartridge.

Given the differences between the various plastic moldings of the Shure styli, plus the different lengths, angles and cross-section of the cantilever/suspension shafts of those models, there could exist greater or lesser 'accidental' compatibility with the different Supex SM100 based bodies.

Here is a pic of an early P77...

49644-0-49644_1280x1280.jpg

and here is a pic of the more common later variant...

100_1947.JPG

I thought it might be a reason. I have later variant. I was not sure if there were any differences. Thank you for the explanation.

You're welcome.

Assuming this Musonic stylus E257 is a decent quality replica of Shure N95, you may want to try sourcing an M95 body. The Shure M95ED was a favorite of mine for a long time and will easily hold it's own against anything out there.

Regarding the fitting of other makers styli to Supex SM100, Rega R100, A&R C, E & P77, Mission 773MM/Solitare, as well as to other branded versions of the same basic cartirdge design; one important thing to note is that there were two slightly different metal cans (aka metal shield); 1) typically an earlier incarnation, with a diamond shaped hole for the stylus assembly to be inserted into that is fully located on the front angled face of the can (some of these variants also had open mounting lugs) vs. 2) the diamond shaped hole partially traverses both the front and bottom of the can (like many Shure models) - IOW a V-shaped cut is visible on the bottom of the cartridge.

Given the differences between the various plastic moldings of the Shure styli, plus the different lengths, angles and cross-section of the cantilever/suspension shafts of those models, there could exist greater or lesser 'accidental' compatibility with the different Supex SM100 based bodies.

Here is a pic of an early P77...

49644-0-49644_1280x1280.jpg

and here is a pic of the more common later variant...

100_1947.JPG
You were right. They finaly put picture whitch version is compatibile with this needle.

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php...cts_id=18840&zenid=n4iusligv82p2soepft5pba3l3

advertisement

Back