advertisement

Steely Dan

Apparently they once apologised about the production of an album or track on the cover, as it wasn't quite perfect. Shame their aren't so many as fastidious these days.

"Pretzel Logic" is my favorite, but "The Definitive Collection" is a great compilation.

No you are on the right lines (if you are thinking Barbarella) but its from a William Burroughs novel

The only trouble with buying the albums is that you won't get 'FM'. At least with Citizen Box set you get all the bits. Also suggest the Fagen and Becker solo albums.

Yes, though I may be wrong. I think it's from a Burroughs book. BTW, SD will sound magic on your Harbeths.

Yes, though I may be wrong. I think it is from a Burroughs book. BTW, SD will sound magic on your Harbeths.

I'm not sure I want to know more, but...

Apart from worn LPs, everything sounds magic on them!

Just a thought, I was planning to buy on CD, does anyone know what the transfers are like?

I've only got vinyl apart from one live CD. Given fastidous nature of Becker and Fagen ("Nightfly" was THE hi-fi showroom demo LP of its time) I'd be surprised if the CDs were not remastered suitably

Try one of the later albums as well

Steely Dan, Everything Must Go, sound quality is excellent and them guys still have it cracking album.

Alan

Even I'd suggest you avoid Circus Money like the plague

Funny you should say that - my initial reaction was the same, had it on rotate in the car for a few days but couldn't get with it at all. Part of the problem (for me at any rate) is that Becker has a somewhat cringe-inducing way with words when it comes to women (IMO applies equally to 11 Tracks of Whack). However I played it again recently and was surprised to discover it had grown on me considerably.

Danfan: I may be an even bigger Dan fan even than you!

On topic: buy 'em all, everything is essential.

Which leads me to: I'm just about to land a pristine copy of the 180g 2 x vinyl version of Morph The Cat for a mere $NZ 20 - can't wait!

Jim

Which leads me to: I'm just about to land a pristine copy of the 180g 2 x vinyl version of Morph The Cat for a mere $NZ 20 - can't wait!

Jim

Save your money - sorry to say that this is the weakest work of Fagen or the duo. And I am a huge SD fan and I have all their albums.

For me, the best were Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied. Their later albums acquired a slick sameness although almost all are enjoyable.

advertisement

Back