advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

I'm sure the colour balance just flicked between setting a few times as well. Weird.

How they will do the trouble with tribbles cross over episode when they have holographic communication and Kirk (in the future) doesn't?

Darth Vader "I am your father" moment with Spock? "I am you step-sister" not quite as dramatic?

I liked the retro bridge noises, including the door swish. And the positive female role models.

Pity about the plot, acting, weird desire to have an emotional character history right at the beginning, uniforms, baroque Klingons, lens flare...

Yep agree with all that. Disappointed so far but optimistic it will improve.

Some very illogical behaviour!

Vuk,

If you don't watch the new show what will you complain about?

Joe

I'm slightly disturbed that the Klingon spelling has changed a bit. In the same way Koran is now Q'oran. The old Klingons couldn't be mistaken for the Ruskies (although maybe the Romulans could), but is this loose alliance of warring clans coming together to battle the Federation some kind of ISIS metaphor?

just finished episode 1.

i'll start off with the positive: in contrast to the character aesthetics of most contemporary sci-fi -- "the expanse" being a great example -- and in spite of what the future may actually bring, i prefer to think that people running a sophisticated space ship will be nerdy, science types, rather than wise-cracking high-school jocks with a touch of american military training. it's not just about plausibility.

1970s lens effects (like vaseline, psycho-polarizers and flare) should only be permitted once every 180 minutes and never in two consecutive productions. we shall see about the second part of that rule, but the first has been violated so blatantly you have to wonder if the "cinematographer" is yet able to grow a proper mustache. (btw -- i am delighted all y'all noticed)

being a big fan of opera, elocution coaching is something i appreciate a great deal. yet, when we're dealing with native language and it still has a fundamental role, surely something has gone very wrong with casting. pretty actor people in a neo-benetton world.

finally, if this were some bold new experiment in the genre, i would keep an open mind and wait for better things as the show evolved. given that it's building on a tried and true formula that actually offers many options or variants, i fail to see much promise here. capitalism has destroyed art. the whole point is to make money and the expression of that banal "conservatism" is perfectly rendered, with a twist of lens lens flare.

there is little doubt in my mind that any one of you contributing to this thread would have -- given the same money and technology -- made something 100 times more gripping and possibly better than TOS.

vuk.

I'm sure the colour balance just flicked between setting a few times as well.

I noticed that too - watching through Panny Plasma on Netflix from Apple TV 3.

Over-riding feeling of disappointment here. One of the problems for me is the (no doubt well-intentioned) gender stereotyping. Klingons are all men and Starfleet, it seems, are all women. And the tougher of the pair just had to cry, FFS.

Agree that the leads are weak and definitely enough already with the lens flare. A bit of writing would be nice.

Disappointed. I actually really liked 'Enterprise'.
Watched the first 2 episodes, agree some weird inconsistencies in the colour grade. What about the ridiculous size of the bridge????
Characters devoid of any charisma, dialogue was clunky. Starships positioned that close to each other, more space between 18th century naval vessels.....? ?
DD soundtrack had way too much/many LF 40hz drops too. It can only get better but so far it's a kids show.

The Trek spin-offs usually take about 3 seasons to find their feet so I'll keep watching. Apart from DS9 I've not missed a single episode so better keep at it...

It's early days. I'm a fan of the genre so conventional absurdities like battles in slow motion with firing ranges measured in feet are generally disregarded, though they are annoying when they rise to consciousness.

The new Klingons were not quite as awful as I thought they would be, though I don't get why they talk so slowly, like actors working phonetically in an unknown language....

BTW, I wasn't big on Star Trek: Enterprise initially and stopped watching. It was only later on Netflix that I became aware of the big Xindi story arc that much transformed and bettered the series, making it a strong contender, easily besting Voyager imho.

ph, forgot to ask: why does the second in command have a man's name?

vuk.

However, fans of Discovery’s co-creator Bryan Fuller should recognize it as the creator’s signature.

"We've worked on many shows with Bryan and it's a motif,” executive producer Aaron Harberts tells TV Guide. “It's his signature move to name his lead women with names that would typically be associated as male.”

Looking back on Fuller’s work, the pattern holds. Ellen Muth played George on Dead Like Me, Anna Friel played Chuck in Pushing Daisies, and Caroline Dhavernas played Jaye on Wonderfalls.

The producers of Star Trek: Discovery considered a handful of names for Martin-Green’s character before eventually landing on Michael.

Source:
http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/09/23/star-trek-discovery-michael-burnham-name/

None of the Star Trek series should be judged by the first episode. Whether it's The Man Trap from the original series,* Encounter at Far Point from next generation, Emissary from DS9, and so on, they've all been a bit meh, but the series improves a lot several episodes or seasons in. Just look at the chasm between The Man Trap and The City of the Edge of Forever. It's infinite.

That said, the premiere of Discovery is arguably the strongest first episode yet. If the show improves from there I'll be thrilled. If it's little more than battles in space like the reboot movies, I'll grumble a lot and only buy the series on blu-ray and eventually 4k, but I will not make the show part of the fabric of my life.

Joe

* OK, technically it was The Cage or Where No Man has Gone Before, depending on your definition of premiere.

Watched the first two on Netflix & enjoyed them. More than DS9 & more than that Jonathan Archer stuff as well.
Not wild about the effects of over exposure/over colour saturation camera effects, or what ever it's called, but maybe that'll calm down.
Let's see how it matures, but so far, so good.

advertisement

Back