advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

joe.

based on those trailers and general cultural trends, i am going to bet 1000 bitcoins it will be awful.

vuk.

Vuk,

All shall be revealed in the fullness of time.

Joe

Jonathan,

I will still tut about it being Pike era Enterprise if really "10 years before Kirk", and the lack of wooly collars on uniforms etc.

I hope they go back to Talos IV. That's one planet that no movie or spin-off has even mentioned. It's as though it were just an illusion.

I would also like to see proper phasers that can sustain a burst of energy. None of that pew-pew-pew stuff of the reboot movies.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
And another thing -- warp engines had better sound like this.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to be really nerdlike about it. The furry ape like creature with the horn on its' head on the left half way up the picture. Can you name the other series that same ape suit was used in?

I've just learned they've altered the appearance of Klingons--from the hairy barbarians of TNG on, to humanoid/reptilian. This is disgusting. This is like a nature program announcing the tigers will now be portrayed as hogs with green stripes.

I've just learned they've altered the appearance of Klingons--from the hairy barbarians of TNG on, to humanoid/reptilian. This is disgusting. This is like a nature program announcing the tigers will now be portrayed as hogs with green stripes.

i think you may have chronology mixed up here (and maybe unaware of the lame explanation for what TNG did). i will leave it to those better equipped to explain.

vuk.

i think you may have chronology mixed up here (and maybe unaware of the lame explanation for what TNG did). i will leave it to those better equipped to explain.

vuk.

I'm not attached to the TOS Klingon look. But they were consistently what I'm talking about from TNG on through hundreds of episodes of the succeeding series and a bunch of movies. That is how the world knows and loves Klingons.

Hey, I'm not a *believer* or something. I don't care how something is or isn't explained. I just care that Klingons at this point are an established cultural entity, and I disapprove of this show flaunting that.

Like, why don't they change the appearance of Earth people while they're at it. Add a few little tentacles, some new color patterns.... That would be fun, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's time for people/ and or aliens of a tartan ethnicity to make an appearance. Oh wait, wasn't Neelix from Voyager part tartan? I seem to recall he was more multicoloured than the rest of the crew.

Don,

I wasn't keen when the original series mariachi band Klingons were replaced by the walnut head Klingons, but I grew it like the cranial ridges and the guttural way they spoke. Those changes made Klingons seem more alien. I would't have changed Klingon appearance yet again, but as was explained at the nerdy fan expo I attended it was done so a new generation will watch the show.

I was tempted to point out that Enterprise was meant to appeal to a new generation and it failed miserably, but what do I know about Star Trek?

Joe

I am a big fan of Bryan Fuller and hope that this series is a huge success.

it would be a shame if after 'dead like me', pushing daisies and hannibal this were a dud.

I was tempted to point out that Enterprise was meant to appeal to a new generation and it failed miserably, but what do I know about Star Trek?

joe.

you see how the influence of mick is creeping on you slowly ;-)

what confuses me is how they figured the young and nerdy would enjoy the awful jock-rock theme song. at least we know that it can only get better, because it is physically impossible for that to happen, even in an infinite number of universes.

vuk.

Name something designed to appeal to 'the young and the nerdy' that hasn't been dreck. That audience decides for itself what appeals, and the first thing they reject is big $ attempts to 'appeal' to them. And rightly so--the attempt is inherently condescending and emetic.

what confuses me is how they figured the young and nerdy would enjoy the awful jock-rock theme song. at least we know that it can only get better, because it is physically impossible for that to happen, even in an infinite number of universes.

It was written by Diane Warren, who has a long and successful career of writing horrid drecky songs.

New Star Trek series debuts here this weekend. I'll give it a chance, but I hope it doesn't blow.

OpDPTrc.jpg

Joe

Bloody hell! A slap-head captain? It'll be shite. They'll start naming new aliens after 70s tennis stars next. Just watch.

A French captain with an British accent? That's not gonna wash.

Joe

advertisement

Back