advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

I thought episode 4 was the closest yet to real Star Trek. Give it time. Almost the entire first season of next generation was meh, but it improved a lot in the second season.

Joe

It occurred to me that with a drive based on fungus they better not use my cleaner Zula or they will find themselves stuck in deep space with a strong smell of bleach everywhere.

Maybe they could go in this direction...

37410388370_d547df86a6_m.jpg
[/url]fungus by https://www.flickr.com/photos/133561340@N04/, on Flickr[/IMG]

Might liven it up a bit.

OK, I know it's science fiction, but how does spore drive supposedly work?

Warp drive at least seems plausible — matter and antimatter reacting and annihilating each other, powering some sort of warping of space-time thereby shortening the journey from A to B.

main-qimg-6b4ee3a659325fbdfccd57bf565f90d1

But fungus-among-us drive? I don't get it.

Joe

It's simple. Just like earth mushrooms grow from a mass of branching, thread-like mycelium that can form giant underground networks, space spores can interact with space mycelium that goes everywhere, and *poof,* you're there! Imagine a producer waving his hands while explaining this, and it will all become clear.

And yes, it makes warp drives look like hard engineering.

Let's leave transporters out of it....

No spilling of beans, please. I can't see the next episode until tonight.

Joe

Yup, the thread has at least two people -- possibly three -- who can pop a phaser in your arse!

Joe

To add to my thesis on the spore drive: I have learned that DNA is involved. Everyone knows that with DNA, all things are possible.

I'm a comitted trekkie; I even made it all the way through 'Enterprise' once... but I'm done with Disco' (electric boogaloo).

advertisement

Back