advertisement

Stainless steel forks turn dinner green

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
Bought some forks from Amazon (LINK) and as soon as they arrived (Yesterday IIRC) I washed them and put them away.

Just pricked a jacket potato and It left green holes! Tried with the other new forks and the same thing happened. Tried with a couple of our old forks and It left clean holes.

Has anyone experienced this before? What's going on?

Yes I know they look grey In the Amazon photo, but they actually look silver like any other stainless fork.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Pretty incredible really as potatoes, at an educated guess, are close to pH neutral.

Stainless steel is stainless primarily because of the chromium content and that is not going to react. My guess would be that it is nickel salts that are giving the greenish colour - s/s generally contains nickel too.

It matters not - they are rubbish - send them back.

My guess was nickel too. Get rid of. I bought an ice cream scoop that turned dark grey in the dishwasher and left a black deposit in the ice cream when used next.

Dishwashers are an entirely unfair test of kitchen utensils and crocks - the powder is EXTREMELY alkaline so will attack some entirely safe and serviceable items - it will even dissolve the highest quality lead-crystal glassware (easily noticed as it goes milky very swiftly).

Ice cream scoops are very commonly aluminium or aluminium alloys and they will all dissolve in dishwasher "detergent".

Nickel is an allergen and has toxicity and carcinogenic properties. Something is not right with "stainless steel" releasing it

Yes, dishwashers turn anything aluminium grey.

Yes, I used to take on an ashen pallor when I had dishwashers. Replaced with a human one which consumed much less electricity.

Stainless steel cutlery with green credentials ? What next?

At £35 for a 24 piece set it's hardly a surprise that they are no longer made in Sheffield. That's for nothing. I have a similarly priced supermarket set that I've had for 10 years or so, they are starting to look a bit worn now but it's not as if I take great care of them, chucking stainless steel cutlery into a drawer filled with more of the same will mark anything up.

I suspect the green stain is some error in the makeup ar a contamination with some odd metal giving an unforeseen bimetallic corrosion problem. A few chromium salts are green, I'm not sure about nickel salts. 304 (18/8) will gain brown stains in the presence of active chlorine but it shoudn't ever turn green. Back them.

We have just bought a set from Ikea, its the only one that didn't stick to the magnets in the display stand so good Stainless steel.
I like the brushed finish and the knives have a good weight, which I find is usually a problem with cheap sets.
They have been through the dish washer with out any problems.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ece-cutlery-set-stainless-steel-art-20304232/

Pete

The magnet test only shows if the stainless steel is magnetic or non magnetic, both types are "good" if produced properly and used in the right application.

£35 for a 24 piece set is expensive??????? I would mark that set down as most likely rubbish.

It Is If you only want a few extra forks (God knows what happens to them).

Saw some at Morrisons for a £1 each. May get some of those...

advertisement

Back