advertisement

St. Vincent - MASS SEDUCTION

davidavdavid

davidavdavid
Latest album just dropped and to my ears it possesses a very welcome retro sound. Mid 70's - Studio 54 in its heyday, Midtown nights, Chelsea mornings

23stvincentageless%202.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have her debut which I really like, this one is a bit like Goldfrapp's Black Cherry in parts but not as good!

Good performance on Later with Jools - how did pianist manage to play in that headgear though?

I was thinking the same about the pianist, but suffocation for art's sake is a laudable outcome. In fact I thought her performance was superb. The songs on the album are quite personal following her break-up with model Cara Delevingne.

I have her debut which I really like, this one is a bit like Goldfrapp's Black Cherry in parts but not as good!

I totally agree with this - having just discovered her for myself, I'm really loving the early stuff, particularly Marry Me; the comparison to Goldfrapp is valid, albeit Alison went from Avant-Garde to Disco in the space of one album.

I LOVE this record. I didn't quite get the fuss about the last, good but nowhere near as good as, say, "Actor". This one deserves all the hype and plaudits.

Actor is the high watermark for me. This has it's moments - the piano ballads are nice. I think the production is better - certainly she's suffered from sub-par production in the best. It was not quite indie low-fi, more so just poor. The production values on this album suit it mostly...

How does it compare to 'Love This Giant' the David Byrne collaboration? That album was the first time I heard St Vincent, and I loved it.

Feminarzististic muzak I struggle with. Like an agenda Brenda.

I once got jumped on by a couple of mad lesbians when I mistook the ladies bog at a gig.

Scary people.

Well worth getting excellent stuff as usual from her. Also, last album had 'Prince Johnny' and 'Digital Witness' which are constants in the car, maybe not the best of her albums but i don't think there's a duff one.

Sounds best on the limited edition pink vinyl.....

I bought it a few days ago and it's growing on me, a lot. The music and arrangements are really original and interesting but she also shows her emotional vulnerability.

She seems to divide opinion: the excellent Robin Ince slagged her off at End Of The Road a few years ago when she performed with David Byrne - he called her "that woman" who played with David Byrne. The response from the crowd was equally divided between cheers and boos.

Damian

I bought her album Actor a couple of years ago, and I'm indifferent to it, but I saw St Vincent on Graham Norton recently, and was much more impressed.

Actor's my favourite, but the new one is really growing on me. I was very disappointed with the David Byrne collaboration. It all seemed somehow "flat" to me.

advertisement

Back