advertisement

Squeezebox Duet + Buffalo NAS - crossed CAT5 for direct contact?

Zombie

pfm Member
I have finally made the step into the deep end of streaming audio...<gulp>
As the Duet has an Ethernet connector, is it possible to hook up a NAS (Buffalo Live 1TB) straight to the Duet with a crossed network cable?
Anything else I should think of to avoid hassle?
Cheers

To avoid hassle buy a cheap ethernet switch, then you can connect all three devices at once. Or use a broadband router with an inbilt switch, then you will get internet radio through the Duet as well.

Yes, I have a Wifi/Ethernet device, but I thought of ripping to the NAS straight from my PC to avoid using radio.

It's best to wire the NAS/Squeezecenter server directly to the ethernet switch/WAP, and then use wireless or wired connections as appropriate to the other devices.

Yes, it has ports. Thought it might be faster and with less interference if I rip directly with a crossed cable.

Zombie

The best way to do this is with an Ethernet switch. Connect the Buffalo NAS to one port, the Duet to another port and the ripping PC to another port. That way you will not have any wireless issues in streaming to the Duet or transferring your FLAC files

Are you going to hack/debianise the Linkstation and install and run your SqueezeCenter on it or just use it as a storage device.

Eddie

What "debianise"?
I will use it to store music, but also other files as backup.
The reason I'm asking about the crossed cable is that I want to get started with ripping my cds asap and I haven't figured out how to connect the NAS and SB Duet in my flat (it's two floors and a very old house). In the meantime I'd just like a fast and secure way of ripping.

What Eddie's getting at its that in order for the Squeezebox to work you need to have the Squeezecenter server software running somewhere (eg an old PC/Laptop)

The Squeezebox cannot read files stored on a NAS drive directly, it talks to the server software which in turn reads the files.

By 'Debianise' he means install Debian Linux onto the Linkstation and try to install the server software there (Not an easy job for someone new to Linux)

Currently the only streaming system capable of reading files from a nas with no software running anywhere is the Sonos system. Some companies eg www.ripcaster.co.uk sell nas drives with the Squeezecenter server software pre-installed but weren't cheap last time I looked!

Hope this helps!
Dan

Zombie

Exactly what Dan said.

If you have the skills to unlock the Linkstation and turn it into a stand alone linux box it makes a really excellent low cost low energy music server.

This is how I run my SqueezeCenter and I'm very happy with it.

If you are not up to experimenting and futzing with Linux then run SqueezeCenter on your PC and just get an external USB drive to store your music but again cable the Duet to the switch if you can to minimise wireless problems

eddie

If your Duets quite far from your router and you don't want to run a long cabel user powerline ethernet adaptors to run the traffic over your electricity cabling.

A pair of adaptors can be had for about £50 eg these

the fastest way ...for me is to carry the hd to the pc connect via usb and rip away then back to the sb3 when done.

my sb3 refuses to talk to my router even though they can see each other ......but as a pc numpty I've not been able to fathom the issues

Zombie, I have two Buffalo LinkStations one of which is running Debian Etch Linux with SlimServer already installed that I no longer need.

If interested we could do a swop but as mine only has a 250GB disk I'd pay you to get a 750GB USB drive to plug in to get you back up to 1TB.

Ask the others on here but I believe it would save much hassle.

Cheers,

DV

If you want a best possible quality do this:

1. Connect your Buffalo station with a short shielded CAT5, CAT5e or CAT6 network cable to your router (i hope your router has few networks ports).

2. Install in your listening room a small 100MBits ethernet switch, if possible this switch should have one linear power supply (some Netgears and other are using still a small ps with a transformer). I have in my listening room Netgear FS105. Connect router and your small switch in the listening room with a longer shielded network cable, it can be max. 25 Meters long

3. Connect your SB to the small switch in your room with a short not shielded CAT6 cable.

The small switch in your listening room is making good network signal refreshing and connecting your SB to this switch with unshielded cable avoid passing some noise through the cable shield.

Keeping buffalo station in other place avoid the harddisk noise and keeps the noisy switched ps of your NAS away from your hifi system.

IMHO in this configuration you can get the best possible sound from Your SB :)

advertisement

Back