advertisement

Spendor A6 room and setup matching

alspe

pfm Member
Just purchased pair of nice wenge A6's.
_IGP2138.jpg

How have you matched them to your room and which amplifier has been good pair for A6's? Do you use spikes or damping shoes? How near walls they sing in your room? Share your experiences please.

Seem that A6's are bit treble shy? No need to worry about tiring treble.

I have the s6e's which are similar, they like to be 40 to 50cm away from the wall and toed in. I have used them on my Uniti which works really well at quieter volumes but gets a bit boomy at higher volumes. This is on a solid woodblock floor in speaker spike cups.
I have used them on my Nap180 and they sing accross the range and work well as they counter the brightness of the 180.

I have my A6's about 300mm from a solid rear wall, 500 from side walls, supplied spikes onto two granite chopping boards, to get the tweaters to ear height. I would not say they are treble shy, just not exaggerated. To me they sound fine driven by a pair of rega exon. To me they very good with any genre of music, but well recorded stuff really lets them shine. I much prefer them to the S5e they replaced.

Start there, then increase/decrease to taste. Mine crossover about the front edge of the listening sofa, so just in front of me lugs.

My cross over is just behind my head due to a wall directly behind my listening position.

I would not say they are treble shy, just not exaggerated. To me they sound fine driven by a pair of rega exon. To me they very good with any genre of music, but well recorded stuff really lets them shine.

I must listen more and let them run in. Mine are almost brand new right now.

I also own Monitor Audio RX6 and Epos ES14's. RX6's are (lot) brighter which makes some rock bands sound crispier but bit annoying sometimes. A6's are lot smoother but then.. lacking little impact of whip what metal music (among other styles) needs. Also RX has thicker upper bass which can be good or bad depending have you rate it. Good for slam, bad for room acoustic.

--

Were there spikes in your A6 boxes? I got no spikes even speakers were unopened. Have to shop on fleabay...

I tend to do the equilateral triangle thing and found toed in pointing the listener worked best in terms of imagining and overall balance. I used them on the sides of a bay window.

I found using different speaker cable meant I had to pull the speaker in or out to get them to work best.

I found them a little harsh at times with a naim xs. With nac a5 some of this disappeared but then lost out detail and sound stage to chord epic.

With nac282/nap200 they sounded bombastic. Awesome.

Spikes are included with them and I'd use them. They firm up the bass and even clarity IMO. I used them in spike cups.

I must listen more and let them run in. Mine are almost brand new right now.

I also own Monitor Audio RX6 and Epos ES14's. RX6's are (lot) brighter which makes some rock bands sound crispier but bit annoying sometimes. A6's are lot smoother but then.. lacking with impact of whip what metal music (among other styles) needs. Also RX has thicker upper bass which can be good or bad depending have you rate it. Good for slam, bad for room acoustic.

--

Were there spikes in your A6 boxes? I got no spikes even speakers were unopened. Have to shop on fleabay...

The spikes where in a plastic box in one of the foam pads I think. They want a little running in from new, and seem to be happy with a fairly powerful amp driving them. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of MA's in general, as they do fall into the exaggerated (bright) treble for in me. Initially impressive but ultimately a wearing sound. It could also be a balance between system components, my CD player and cart-stage have enough attack to keep the spens honest.

Had my A6's since first released, running off Naim 202/200/napsc - must say they took a long time to run in, but they do sound fantastic when you get it right. I have them spiked on 30mm granite slabs, toe in approx 40mm and 500mm off wall. They a far from dull (given 20 minutes warm up) but that could also be due to my sources - Cdx2 and Lp12/Ortofon 2M Black. Play with distance off the wall, it makes a big difference to the bass which I found impacted on treble clarity - also suspended floors play havoc with the sound, hence the slabs.

I must try those granite slaps I think. I don't know if my parguet floor is suspended or not? (there should be thin insulation before concrete anyway, so little suspension?). Spikes usually give impact to treble I think.

My electronics are Audiolab 8000CD and Exposure XV integrated with Exposure DMF-1 cables. Electronics were not too much treble shy with my Monitor Audio RX6's or with Epos ES14's. A6's seems to be the most smoothest and treble (+impact) shy of there three.

If you are uncertain regarding floor build then give the slabs a try - garden centre may be a cheap source even if colour not ideal match, if you like the sound you can always look for better quality from a stone mason. Slabs under spikes might produce too much treble - all depends on room layout, but you can more easily move the speakers around by sliding the slabs back or forward. I found slabs required the speakers to move closer to the wall by a few inches. Lastly give the speakers a try without the front covers!

Hey,

has someone listening A5's against A6's? Comparisons please.

what I've red is that A5's give quite a lot of bass and punch, maybe more than A6's? Better for rock music?

Hey,
what I've red is that A5's give quite a lot of bass and punch, may more than A6's? Better for rock music?

No way.
A6s digg deeper.
Much better speakers than the A5s.
A6 rocks harder.

Both are discontinued models. The successors are A5 R and A6 R .

No way.
A6s digg deeper.
Much better speakers than the A5s.
A6 rocks harder.

Both are discontinued models. The successors are A5 R and A6 R .

Yes I know that there are new models. I have A6's (topic started by me) but I may have a change to swap them for smaller A5's + money to fund upgrades in source :) Yes I know that it might sound weird.

Couple of reviews I red said that A5's has upper bass punch which is good for rock music. A6's aren't the best for rocking, surely they are more suitable for jazz, vocals etc. IMO

A5's are darker sounding and originally when released I think people preferred them. The A6's seem to take longer to get into but are worth the effort. Currently using a Prima Luna Prologue2 with A6's and they work very well. Previously had it with a cyrus 8xp and the presentation was much leaner and very detailed. Spendors seem sometimes to be underrated and a bit pipe and slippers, I think this is inaccurate. Solid well designed and balanced speakers that are voiced a little more forward than previous models.

advertisement

Back