advertisement

Speakers for Primare

stevebrock

pfm Member
I own a Primare i32 with Rega RS3 soeakers - I feel the soeakers are the weak part of my system ( i32 phono stage with RP8 turntable )

I sometimes find the bass a bit too much on the RS3 - thinking of maybe going to a sealed box or transmission line - I'm looking at the PMC Twenty series any other suggestions for me?

I've tried the ATC SCM11 but they overtook my lounge !

Room is 4m x 4m - chimney breast with 2 alcoves - I place my current soeakers well out of the alcoves

Appreciate any help

I went from pmc twenty to atc 19 as the 20.23 loaded the room oddly. The small 21's might work but I'm surprised atc 11 overwhelmed , as my room is not much bigger with 19's but no alcoves which I guess wouldn't cause probs

I know the amp is very good & can control the bass very well. I'd immediately advise the obvious but you've already seemed to have the speakers (soeakers!) well out into the room. What happens if you pull them out further - even if you can't keep them there?

Some possible remedies: bass traps in the corners of the alcoves, changing the listening position (forward/back) or perhaps a little left-field: changing your speaker cable. I don't have the experience of a dealer to offer models of alternative speakers & it's all to easy to suggest what one owns that may well not work in your room anyway.

Cables is a good shout - using rega Quattro stuff £5 M - maybe something better ?

I've never really heard any noticeable difference with interconnects but have with speaker cables that can give a subtle improvement & also be borrowed more easily than speakers with less deposit required!

I have your amp and the speakers I have tried are the following
PMC 22 which I found too polite
Usher be 718s (tiny dancers) better with great treble sold them after I got a great offer
Proac tablette anniversaries another good match but not enough drive for me
I am currently using a pair of Martin Logan ascent I speakers in a room with similar dimensions to your (no alcove though) these have been the best of the lot great imaging and depth (I keep looking behind me) with plenty of punch only on the occasional cd do I find them a bit thin. I could probably place them better but I am very happy with them.

advertisement

Back