advertisement

speaker wire and naim

I'm having just a bit of difficulty in coming to terms with the factory recommendation of the length of lead, i.e. if the minimum recommendation of 3.5m is installed, there will be a certain value of capacitance/inductance/resistance within the cable.

If we increase the length to the 20m maximum allowed by the manual, we increase that capacitance/inductance/resistance commensurately.

Surely, both situations can't be correct..........

So, what is the proper LCR loading for Naim amps I wonder..??

the cost to them is minimal.
Undoubtedly..........

It should also be noted that if buying new equipment from a dealer, many WILL provide the cable FOC if you ask nicely
Bugger...........:D

Mine certainly didn't volunteer, (granted, I didn't ask...) and I've spent a few grand with him over the years..........

I think the serious point remains that the cables form part of the circuit. The amp is incomplete without them.

I would suggest that the entire audio world (apart from Naim)regards cables as a separate entity from the amplifier.

Naim tell you that you can possibly invalidate your warranty if you use cable other than their own.

They then don't tell you what cable is suitable (their own excepted) or tell you the specifications to which your outsourced cable needs to conform to.

Possibly the Sale of Goods Act and Fitness for Intended Use could be a player here if you were to have a problem.

What's the wholesale cost to Naim to put 7m in the box at point of sale? 50p/m?

The customer believes he is getting added value. More importantly, Naim is selling a
COMPLETE component, and they're not laying themselves open to accusations of profiteering and scaremongering.;)

I, of course, use A5 cable with my Naim amps, cos I'm a good boy.

...............................however if anybody has any suggested cables........ and is prepared to give me a long term loan............

Originally posted by LesW
I'm having just a bit of difficulty in coming to terms with the factory recommendation of the length of lead, i.e. if the minimum recommendation of 3.5m is installed, there will be a certain value of capacitance/inductance/resistance within the cable.

If we increase the length to the 20m maximum allowed by the manual, we increase that capacitance/inductance/resistance commensurately.

Surely, both situations can't be correct..........

So, what is the proper LCR loading for Naim amps I wonder..??

We can ask Naim Audio if needed (and why not?). I guess that any machine will have a range of operating parameters that can be varied within the design tolerance. I recall that HiFi+ (while reviewing the nAP300 and NAP250) recently used Nordost cable with great success. Well... If people wants to experience with different cable, here is a good example!

We can ask Naim Audio if needed (and why not?). I guess that any machine will have a range of operating parameters that can be varied within the design tolerance.
I don't think Les would want to ask Naim about this, they'd probably think he was trolling.;)

Originally posted by Harlyquin
I don't think Les would want to ask Naim about this, they'd probably think he was trolling.;)

he probably is... Les postings (most of the time) are quite negative with respect to Naim equipment.

Les postings (most of the time) are quite negative with respect to Naim equipment.
.....that depends on which side of the fence you park your backside. If you consider that the firm can do no wrong then fine, however, any firm with the slightest pretention to advancing the state of the sonic art would look upon technical critique from a different perspective. What I do admit to freely though is that I detest the the piles of horse manure surrounding what is after all, some very fine kit...........

Originally posted by LesW
.....that depends on which side of the fence you park your backside. If you consider that the firm can do no wrong then fine, however, any firm with the slightest pretention to advancing the state of the sonic art would look upon technical critique from a different perspective. What I do admit to freely though is that I detest the the piles of horse manure surrounding what is after all, some very fine kit...........

Les .... Just look at Naim success, they must have done thing right (in general). You can always improve any piece of equipment but remember what you add to the product is the delta (additional cost)... it take $$$ dollars to get the NAP250 the way it is and it may take 50 doolars more to improve it.... but Les NAP250 is $$$ dollars + 50 dollars NOT 50 dollars as it seems to be the message.

Les

You are well respected and quite talented. Your mods on Naim equipment make some of us quite happy and it is a good thing that we have you but constructive ideas and comments are most welcome.

advertisement

Back