1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker delivery woes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackiechansthem, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

The packaging is at fault here. Whilst im sure we all hope that whatever we send by RM UPS etc will be treated with kid gloves ( and apart from the Italian Mail system ive had no problems. ) Some knocking about should be anticipated and items packed accordingly. Pipe lagging is pretty compressible and with no other protection a drop or knock on a corner is going to end in tears. I would send them straight back to the seller.

2. alanchamberlain

alanchamberlain pfm Member

It's definitely worth going out of your way to collect or deliver if at all possible - I usually suggest a half-way meet and only charge for petrol. Or sometimes a cheap day return can be worth it. A claim has probably no more than a 50% chance of success and in the case of my last claim (£50 for a turntable lid) cost me at least 10 hours of my time. I was quite lucky with a recent delivery of a glass shelf which was left out in the rain by the courier. Judging from the ruined packaging they assumed it was knackered and returned it to the sender who found to his amazement it was OK and then sent it back to me. But it just shows what idiots we have to put up with. Needless to say the courier did not apologise either to the sender or to me.

3. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Aaaahhh... ...the warm glow of nostalgia as I remember the two night shifts I once did for Royal Mail. Some of the things I saw there were truly sickening - parcels and packets being thrown, etc. I was also made to go into a loading dock with no hi-vis or safety boots despite the rules, and managed to run over my foot with a 250kg trolley with no sympathy. Never again!

Hope that UPS claim gets sorted quickly by the way. UPS by name, oops! by reputation.

4. jackiechansthem

jackiechansthem pfm Member

Well, I had an email from UPiSs this morning saying my claim has been approved and they've offered me £75! Because they only cost me £150 (yeah, I know I robbed the guy) they are offering half the cost for the severe damage to one speaker.

I'm not sure if I feel insulted or lucky to get an offer......... I'm keeping them (of course, they're no good to anyone) because they make enjoyable music but I couldn't replace them for £75 notes. I guess I could strip the crossovers, ports and drive units to sell on when/if I want rid and get a good price on fleabay.

What's the consensus - take the cash and run, or reject their offer and hope for the best?

I'm thinking that in making an offer, they've conceded that they screwed up and if it were to go to Small Claims I'd have them. Then again, maybe not?

Of course I'll make my own decision but the wisdom of the collective would be helpful.

Cheers, Russ.

BTW, the guy who sold them wanted collection only - I asked him to pack and arranged the courier myself. I wasn't going to drive to Hull for £150 speakers.

5. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Go back and explain they are matched pairs and it is not possible to buy a single matching speaker. Offer them both backnto them. It may only be a relatively small amount of money but don't let them screw you over.

6. jackiechansthem

jackiechansthem pfm Member

Cheers Rodrat and everyone else for comments and support.

I did just that and they came back to me fairly quickly and offered £110 plus keeping the speakers, so I agreed - if I couldn't raise £40 for the pair or for the complete set of parts if they get moved on then I won't sell them!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the sounds they're making and when I've finished my subwoofer I'll see what I can do to tart up the duffed in corner. Mrs J will remain happy and I get cudos :D I think some Egyptian cloth covers will soon appear on the speaker tops, along with one of one of my wife's granite sculptures!

Thank you all.