1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Source for R-core Transformers

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Jo Sharp, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

Does anyone have info on where to buy these in Europe?

I tried the HiFi tuning.de website but it would appear (from my limited German language) that the partners have split (in the business sense ;) ) and there is no longer a link to the page with info on transformer orders.

As an alternative, does Les W supply the transformers used in the APXs as a separate item...I emailed him recently but no reply as yet.... (hello Les!?).

Thanks in advance...

2. quickie

quickie SE 'A' Class

3. Jo Sharp

Paul,

Thanks for the link.

How did you find the APX trannies - better than toroidals?

Jo

4. quickie

quickie SE 'A' Class

Never got round to comparing them with any toroids Jo,so couldn't say.

Nicely made though and very quiet.

Paul.

5. Mus

Mus pfm Member

I'll second that. I have tried a couple of different toroidals, mainly with the APX modules, and while the difference was not great a thin layer of grunge was removed. The toroidals I tried were on a par pricewise with the APX transformers, others were scavenged from dead Naim boxes

I suspect that trans-tronic is another of Les' babies as it's virtually next door to him.

Regards,

Mus

6. LesW

LesW Making electronics make music

From Quickie:
    Errr........sorry, wrong again Paul......

These transformers are made especially for yours truly with some very special techniques employed within. Transtronic will supply common or garden industrial no problem, but try asking them for the spec of the Avondales - you'll be met with a stoney silence.

7. quickie

quickie SE 'A' Class

Are the standard ones any good then Les?

I thought Jo was after some R-cores,not specifically yours as such.

Paul.

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Sprinkled with fairy dust perhaps Les? ;)

9. LesW

From Patrick:
    What, for £22..?? You and I both know that fairy dust comes a lot dearer than that, don't we..??

10. LesW

Wassup Quickie, becoming a little world weary are we..?? Listen chum, if I gave you some buckshee - nay, paid you to take them off my hands, like everything you've ever owned, they would be on sale within a fortnight, wouldn't they..??

11. quickie

quickie SE 'A' Class

Chill out dude............have a snort of that fairy dust :p

Paul.

12. Jo Sharp

Les,

Thanks for the PM, have replied....

Paul,

I'd like to try an R-core ....and one of Mr W's 'specials' if available ...never hurts to compare and contrast.

having read the technical mumbo-jumbo on the sonic properties of different coil designs it would be interesting to see what differences there are in reality.

Jo