advertisement

Sorry I know I am boring (another lens ?)

If you have a uniform background at some distance from the subject and with no hard edges and no specular highlights it's hard to see how it can be anything but smooth.

Second one is not really a good example either. The image looks soft and lacking in contrast so either it's not the gretest lens or we are not seeing examples that show off the lens very well.

Gary,

Yes it is a cheap lens, a nikkor 28-100 zoom.
I'm losing track of all your eBaying. Are you saying you bought another Nikkor besides the 28-85 you bought the other week, which, incidentally, nearly duplicates the previous zoom's range?

Matthew,
If you have a uniform background at some distance from the subject and with no hard edges and no specular highlights it's hard to see how it can be anything but smooth.
True, but a decent lens makes a uniform background look even smoother, if you know what I mean.

Joe

101341226_9ec293e7ee_o.jpg

Mike,

She's my wife's cousin's Serbian girlfriend (emigrated to Canada about 10 years ago). If they break up, should I pass on your number?

Joe

P.S. As stunning as she is in pictures, she's even more stunning in person.

101371613_cc309f7f87_o.jpg

my entry for the caption contest:

"the guy i had to take a picture of (with "reluctant" girlfriend) following hold-up/extortion at an alabama gas station after getting ridiculously lost on our way back to canada"

vuk.

Call me shallow, but it took me a while to notice the background.

-- Ian

Joe Petrik said:
True, but a decent lens makes a uniform background look even smoother, if you know what I mean.

101341226_9ec293e7ee_o.jpg

Great background Joe! (Unlike the others I shall not be letching at your family members :) )

BTW, the trucker cap, mullet, unkempt facial hair and over-sized 70s Aviator sunglasses would have been the height of style in certain fashionable parts of London. Vuk makes an Alabam joke but if you bumped into that guy in Shoreditch or Soho you assume he worked in television, for a magazine or in an art gallery.

Matthew

Hi,

Well done for the ebay win. There has been so many different versions of nikkor 50 mm lens. The F stop is not the only fqctor to consider. The lens compatability with more modern bodies (non-ai, Ai, Ais, AFD) for linking with the exposure and distance readings is important to consider. For the best part these lens can be used with the most modern bodies like the 2dx or d200 so long as you set the camera accordingly.

Go here for some "in depth" information on Nikon.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

Matthew,

BTW, the trucker cap, mullet, unkempt facial hair and over-sized 70s Aviator sunglasses would have been the height of style in certain fashionable parts of London.
What's not shown in the picture are his snake-skin boots. So, is he still at home in Alabamie or would he be more at home in Shoreditch or Soho?

Joe

Is he redeemed for having recently bought a secondhand Imacon scanner for $2k?

Drum scanner... I'm sooooooooo jealous.

Joe

Dressed like that and owning a high end scanner he is definitely a NuMedia type from Hoxditch.

I bet he knows what Wolfbagging is and says "LOL" out loud with deadpan irony.

Whilst we're on photography I really don't keep pace with digital bodies but knowing about the sensor difference between digital and film...

... the Canon EOS 5D caught me eye. Not because I would see myself switching brand but because this is the first time I noticed anyone had introduced a full frame sensor, as it were. Has Nikon done this also?

Also, do sensors keep clean these days or do they still attract dust?

These two were both part of my not bothering with digital yet but when it happens I will have little excuse left. The pixel count seems to be up there now (or ahead) and it can't be long before B&W is up to it if it hasn't already got there.

I do like the idea of getting my manual Ai etc. lenses straight onto a digital body one day.

All sensors get occasionally mucky, but the Canon 5D is notorious for attracting dust, not just on the sensor, but inside the viewfinder. As it's the first 'prosumer' level FF dSLR, I'd hold off until they've sorted out these teething problems. I'd love one myself, but I reckon they're going to get get better and cheaper pretty quickly. The Nikon D200 meters with all but the oldest (pre Ai?) manual Nikkor lenses, and looks a good buy too. Both have reasonably sensible looking view finders.

advertisement

Back