1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry I know I am boring (another lens ?)

Discussion in 'photo' started by garyi, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Matthew,

Get the Voigtländer. I was hoping someone whose opinion I trust would dip a toe into the water to see if their SLR lenses are any good.

Joe

2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Ah yes, in my exhaustive Balanced Scorecard decision making system I was forgetting "Perform consumer research for Joe" :)

I think the Limited will be more use but those SL lenses have a certain desireability about them (at least from pictures) and I suspect one in K mount and already in the UK is very rare.

3. Joe P

Matthew,

You know I would do the same for you. In fact, I do do the same for you. I let you know what sci-fi/vampire TV shows are worth watching, what old, manual-focus Nikkors are worth getting, and what hot chix are worth Googling. This service is worth thousands of pounds on the free market, but I offer it willingly and free of charge.

Please, no thanks are necessary. I'm a philanthropist and like to help the people.

Joe

4. Heath

Heath pfm Member

I just bought a 35mm f/2 from 7dayshop for £170.

Now I just need to wait for my replacement camera battery to arrive from Nikon after their product recall.

Heath

5. garyi

garyi leave blank

Thanks for the heads up Heath I'll check me battery later.

I got one on ebay for four quid which seems to be exactly the same spec and has performed well thus far. I love the fact these things go on and on, something else I do not miss with my E10

Thanks for all the info on the lenses. What I sense here is a case of suck it and see and just be a lot more critical of what you think you have achieved.

The main danger of a manual of course is that you get home and have no idea what the aperture was set too. There might be a case for trying to keep the aperture at one stop for each session then it will be easier to compare picks and see where each lens performed best.

6. AlexG

AlexG ...

Or just take a small pad of paper and a pencil with you.

7. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

Chaps

F1.4 or even F1.2 lenses are not "for wankers". If you want to do a hand held shot in low light, you want a lens which can handle it, period.

As for telephoto lenses, its pretty hard to hand hold a 400mm lens with an F stop of F8 when trying to snap something like a shot of someone scoring a goal, which is why the sports photographers all buy these £3000 lenses that can stop down to F2.8 or better. There are some sooperdooper lenses available these days at around the £3K mark that try to do image stabilisation as well, which allows them to get away with poorer F stops to a certain extent.

iGary - just remember that the F stop that you need will become obvious the more you play with using your camera in different lighting conditions. Sticking a flash on top of the camera is not necessarily the answer in all conditions.

cheers
    Cliff

(Wanker with an F1.4 50mm lens on his OM4Ti)

8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I think you misunderstand my point, Cliff. 50/1.2 lenses sell for around three to four times the price of a 50/1.4. All this results in is half a stop of extra speed. But relatively few shots are taken at full aperture anyway if you want to obtain maximum sharpness, which is invariably a few stops down from fully open. So the only gain is a slightly brighter viewfinder, but I seriously doubt it makes or breaks the shot. Same deal with the superfast mega-telephotos.

Unless you need to shoot with a fast aperture, a 50/1.2 has more novelty than functional value. IMO of course.

James (*ist DS, SMC-A 50/1.4)

9. matthewr

10. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

I understand entirely what Cliff is saying. My own earlier post and shooting needs would mean that the 'nocturnal' lenses would be an unecessary extravegance in cost and an unecessary bulk. But Cliff is right, it's all about choosing the right tools for the job.

Which reminds me of another point actually. I would absolutely not object to a 1.0 or 1.2 Leica to go with an equally nice M6. Definite extravegance but combined with a fast film for deliberate grain, I might be inclined to shoot in lower light situations.

The likes of Leica/Hassy are traditionally claimed to be more immune to the relative ebb and flow of lens arguments in the thread i.e. Zeiss, Schneider etc. allegedly do not produce any lens which is not of outstanding quality etc. I expect that nice Mr Parry has a cabinet full.

11. Joe P

I think the point James is making -- feel free to correct me if I'm wrong -- is that there's little point in getting a fast 50 (or whichever focal length you desire) if you don't shoot wide open. But if you do, well, then, yeah. Get a fast lens. A 50mm f/2 will not open up to f/1.2, but a 50mm f/1.2 will stop down to f/2.

Getting a fast lens if you never shoot wide open is the wanker thing to do. It's about looking the part, instead of taking great pictures.

By the way, I think we all agree here. It's just that we're missing each other's points.

Joe

12. matthewr

"Getting a fast lens if you never shoot wide open is the wanker thing to do. It's about looking the part, instead of taking great pictures"

Is this the right time to recall that Mick once owned a £2k f1.0 Noctilux?

Arf :)

13. Artioneer

Artioneer tripath walker

This one is even faster,waste of time really.
    [​IMG]

These are the 'really' important ones,in the darkroom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AlexG

AlexG ...

Round these parts it's called 'all the gear, no idea'.

15. James

Thanks Matthew. The AF SMC-FA or SMC-F 100mm/2.8 macro comes up fairly often on eBay. I'm not convinced by the optical performance (nor plastic construction) and would much prefer the metal-bodied MF SMC-A 100mm/2.8 macro. These are truly rare but tend to go for stupid money. I was hoping someone had one they'd like to sell for reasonable money. Otherwise, I might just have to console myself with the more common (and cheaper) SMC-A 50mm/2.8 macro.

If not this ...

[​IMG]

Then I might have this ...

[​IMG]

James

16. Joe P

Matthew,

Or time for my embarrassing admission that I spent $100 on a secondhand 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor only to find out that it's crap wide open.

[​IMG]

Joe

17. James

Here are some comments from Stan's Pentax Photography Site in relation to the SMC-A 50/1.2

James

18. Joe P

James,

Yeah, I know. These fast 50s are generally not well regarded if used wide open, but they do look the part, which is why I parted with $100 to get one. I now know better. (My 55 makes a good loupe, though, so it's not a complete waste of money.)

Joe

P.S. The Noct-Nikkor and Leica Noctalux are exceptions -- they're amazing wide open -- but they have a price tag to match their performance.

[​IMG]

19. James

Fitness for Purpose

Hey Joe,

One thing you can help me clarify in my mind before I take the plunge should the opportunity become available - is a 100mm/2.8 macro lens as good as a regular 100mm/2.8 lens at infinity? I'd like to have a prime lens around 85-135mm in length (presently have the SMC-M 135mm/2.5, which is fantastic but I miss the auto-aperture control) and was thinking that I can combine a macro and medium telephoto in one lens. None of the MF SMC-A lenses around that focal length are particularly good, except for the A*85mm/1.4 and A*135mm/1.8 but again, these go for stupid money.

James

20. Artioneer

Artioneer tripath walker

Joe,

Just an observation,how can you possibly deliberate about a lenses quality/resolving performance without you have tried the aforementioned lens in ideal conditions with a HR film ie Kodak TechPan (resolves nearly 300 lppm) and then enlarged the negative to at least 10" x 8" or better still 12" X 16" using 'good' darkroom practice and the very finest enlarging lenses available ?

One thing I realised long ago is that virtually every photographer has a semi super negative in their collection/file,it would just take a master darkroom printer - Gene Nocon,Ansel Adams(dsd) to bring it to it's full fruition,the darkroom is where the real expertise exists.

PS Anyone see Prince Andrew's mediocre photo's a long while back and how they were transformed in the darkroom by a craftsman ?