advertisement

Sony RX10 - anyone got one?

Hi

Looking at buying one - anyone got any thoughts - good/bad pro's cons?

Thanks in advance

John

Yes, had mine a couple of months. Hope this isn't too late...

It's extremely versatile, which is why I bought it - basically to fill in the gaps left by my A7R with the 35 and 55mm Zeiss FE primes. Considering the size of the sensor and the zoom range, the image quality is excellent - do note though that I said, 'considering'. If you're a pixel peeper, and you're considering this as your main camera, then tread carefully; central sharpness is pretty good, but the corners lag behind, especially at the wide end (although that applies to the wide end of most zoom lenses). There's visible noise even at base ISO too. I blow both hot and cold with mine. There's something very real and 'filmlike' about the output (I mainly process to B&W), and I like the extended DOF relative to my FF camera; small sensors have their uses. But despite the BS you read in some reviews, the image quality is not the equal of APS-C or FF cameras, although it seems to give M43 a run for its money. I like it, but I may well move it on and get a Nikon Coolpix A or something. I'm not much of a telephoto shooter, and might just settle for something smaller that gives me some wide angle coverage.

Build quality is less than amazing too for a premium camera. It's hard to know what to think about that. The buttons and lens barrel are made of cheap plastic... but then, I suppose the camera now costs about as much as my 55mm prime for the A7R.

Just manage your expectations, is the best advice I can give. It's very capable and great fun to shoot; but a recent entry level DSLR from Canikon will outperform it in terms of critical image quality. But you wont get 24-200mm f2.8 in one convenient unit.

Hi, Many thanks for the reply (sorry for the delay been away)

I think I will take the plunge - I can not bear the thought of carry diff lenses while on a walking holiday and I am no pro only a keen snapper so reading the above I am sure it will be fine for me

Many thanks again

John

It's excellent and great fun to shoot. If you look at the images very closely, i.e. at pixel level, you'll find problems, but this is easily remedied by not looking very closely! ;)

i find sony software and ergonomics awkward in comparison with canon for example - spent last 10 yrs with different canons, bought rx100II now and no matter how great pics it shoots, i just can't get over its controls, insanely complicated in comparison with canon...

i find sony software and ergonomics awkward in comparison with canon for example - spent last 10 yrs with different canons, bought rx100II now and no matter how great pics it shoots, i just can't get over its controls, insanely complicated in comparison with canon...

It's not that complicated - it's a pocket camera and therefore some controls have to be accessed via menus rather than switches and dials. The only fiddle I find with these pocket cameras is menu driven exposure comp. In most situations, truth be told, you can just stick an RX100 in P mode and be happy.

advertisement

Back