advertisement

Sondek LP12 arm options

take a trip into loud and clear in glasgow
I've just fitted a 2nd hand Naim Aro to a lp12...get a demo and see what u think....its for sale
your welcome to bring your own deck for comparison
I am also building a 2nd hand lp12 that will go on sale in the next couple weeks and it will be priced to sell :)...ask for Ian in the shop and he can give u whatever options u want in the deck before its built sort of thing
the shops prices are always cheaper than eBay ...it amazes me peeps buy the shit on eBay then pay for me to fit it all together...if they just bought local we would have fitted and supplied much cheaper than they end up paying :) and as Scotlands premier linn dealer...we only give top class parts with a gtee

Is this the "trade sales" section of PFM or what.
Talk about subtle...

Well every other dealer does it so why not J7? As far as I can see it gives the op a good opportunity to go and listen, he doesn't have to buy.

Nothing wrong with the Linn arm bearings. Ittok and Ekos are excellent arms, even the Basik's pretty good. AROs aren't "dreadful", what nonsense. A Nima is a very viable alternative to an ARO - not quite as good but not far off. All these arms perform differently depending on what deck, cartridge and wiring they're using. If you can, take up Mr Audioorigami's offer & listen for yourself.

Unipivot and gimbal arms sound different, but it doesn't mean that one is better than the other. I prefer my Ekos to the Ittock that it replaced, the detail and stability are amazing and would by most be regarded as the better arm, however the sound is less coloured and was considered at the time as more 'cd like', so not everyone is going to agree.

I don't think the Linn arm bearings have problems as such but everything I have read and been advised makes me believe they are fairly easily damaged so I for one won't be changing the cartridge while the arm is on the deck. Plenty on the forums if you want to search.

Nothing wrong with the Linn arm bearings. Ittok and Ekos are excellent arms, even the Basik's pretty good. AROs aren't "dreadful", what nonsense. A Nima is a very viable alternative to an ARO - not quite as good but not far off. All these arms perform differently depending on what deck, cartridge and wiring they're using. If you can, take up Mr Audioorigami's offer & listen for yourself.

This makes perfect sense and is quite correct IMO. The Morch UP4 uni also works very well on the LP12, nice and light, excellent flow.

I changed from an Akito to a Roxana Nima

V nice and a good step up but it is still a way from the EKOS. IMHO.

M

Very limited experience of various arms on an LP12 but for what it's worth....

I swapped out an Ittok ii (early one IIRC) for an immaculate 2nd hand Alphason 100mcs for a customer eons ago.

The 100, IMHO, was a massive improvement with no "buts"......if you can find one.

Depending on your budget you will need to work out how you are going to approach things.

The cheapest LP12 I have seen on ebay recently was £250. It had some issues but was listed as "buy it now" but probably did not last more than 5 minutes. The bottom end is usually around £500 without arm for a pre Cirkus build. They are usually listed as collection only so you would have to hope one comes up local to you for that kind of price. In general prices will be a fair bit higher than that.

I have recently done an LP12 bitsa for myself but am sharing the platter with my mid 90s build. Building your own is viable and not that difficult using the Peter Swain guidelines but some patience is needed to pick up parts from ebay to avoid exceeding the price of a complete unit.

Ittoks generally go for around £550 to £650 though there are a load currently on ebay at much higher prices which are not selling.

Your cheapest route probably will be to get a Pre Cirkus build with Ittok which it appears is your preference. I have a fondness for Ittoks from when I had one on my first LP12 but arms like the Alphason HR-100S or Zeta may be superior.

Depending on your budget you will need to work out how you are going to approach things.

The cheapest LP12 I have seen on ebay recently was £250. It had some issues but was listed as "buy it now" but probably did not last more than 5 minutes. The bottom end is usually around £500 without arm for a pre Cirkus build. They are usually listed as collection only so you would have to hope one comes up local to you for that kind of price. In general prices will be a fair bit higher than that.

I have recently done an LP12 bitsa for myself but am sharing the platter with my mid 90s build. Building your own is viable and not that difficult using the Peter Swain guidelines but some patience is needed to pick up parts from ebay to avoid exceeding the price of a complete unit.

Ittoks generally go for around £550 to £650 though there are a load currently on ebay at much higher prices which are not selling.

Your cheapest route probably will be to get a Pre Cirkus build with Ittok which it appears is your preference. I have a fondness for Ittoks from when I had one on my first LP12 but arms like the Alphason HR-100S or Zeta may be superior.

That’s the conclusion I have come to.

Pre cirkus with ittock

Leaves me room to improve it over time with cirkus, lingo, better cartridge etc

Very limited experience of various arms on an LP12 but for what it's worth....

I swapped out an Ittok ii (early one IIRC) for an immaculate 2nd hand Alphason 100mcs for a customer eons ago.

The 100, IMHO, was a massive improvement with no "buts"......if you can find one.

The Sonata was another brilliant deck, along with the Pink Triangle, that eventually became another victim of the fierce Linn hype/marketing scandal of the 1970/80s.

Agreed, love them or hate them Linn and Naim have lead the Brit-pack on marketing for decades.
With so many fallen by the wayside yet these guys continue (even if ownership has changed).

Agreed, love them or hate them Linn and Naim have lead the Brit-pack on marketing for decades.
With so many fallen by the wayside yet these guys continue (even if ownership has changed).

Unfortunately they took away choice from the British audiophile. As flatpopely says," business savvy ", but not good for the hifi industry.

Unfortunately they took away choice from the British audiophile. As flatpopely says," business savvy ", but not good for the hifi industry.
Eh? So you think it's good for the hi-fi industry if Linn didn't do very well? If you're selling stuff then business acumen's pretty essential if you're going to survive. Just maybe, we bought Linns because they were better than the others?

Or maybe we bought Linns because we didn't have the choice, and/or brainwashed by the audio press at the time.
Why was it good that Linn did particularly well and other British companies were muscled out. No competition means no advances made.

Linn's marketing savvy was unsurpassed. How they got certain sections of the press rabidly behind them and their dealers to freeze out the opposition is still a bit of a mystery!? Time and time again the idea that the only worthwhile upgrade from a Rega 3 was an LP12 was rammed down our ears. I think its these old wounds that along with a costly never ending upgrade path that left a bitter memory in many people's minds.

Rega on the other hand didn't try to sell us anything, much like Harbeth I guess. Most Linn dealers stocked Rega decks, but not XY and Z, because they were not deemed as rivals by Linn. At that time they weren't, so they survived.

A lot of people found that the Ittok/ Ekos arms need a lot of upgrading to get rid of their roughness.

Apart from the LP12 (given it's origins), did Linn create anything else worthwhile? Their speakers are ghastly, and their amps nondescript.

Yeah, their multi room systems were pretty good at a very early point of such things.
I'm no Linn fan but credit where it's due.

advertisement

Back