advertisement

Sondek LP12 arm options

749er

pfm Member
hi
Am considering upgrading my Systemdek 11X to a used Linn Sondek LP12.

My question relates to arms. I understand that the EKOS is top of the range. Basik is the entry level arm but where do the Ittok and Akito sit ?

Thanks

I would also like to hear opinions about other arms that one can fit to the LP12.

I have a fairly high spec LP12 (Tangerine Plateau, Cirkus, Naim Geddon, Ittok, Prefix etc) and have long considered what other options there are without fitting an Ekos SE which seems to be the final and very expensive end game.

The Akito replaced the Basik, the Ittok was the top arm before the Ekos. However, it is worth considering that there are a number of versions of all these arms.

Lots of arms will fit an LP12 as long as they are 9" long (which most are) and not extremely heavy). Pretty much any arm you are likely to consider will work, Rega, Alpahason, Origin Live, Logic, etc.

If your end game is an Ekos SE and you already own a good Ittok then there isn't a great deal of value in going to any interim step - just keep the Ittok until you can afford the SE.

My understanding is that Linn have usually had an entry level tonearm and an upmarket arm

Originally the Linn Basik variants were entry level with Ittok as top of the range.

The Akito then effectively replaced the Basik Plus and the Ekos eventually replaced the Ittok.

There are variants of all the arms with later versions resolving issues with earlier variants. For example the early Ekos arms had a problem with sticky dials and the headshell was a little small for some cartridges. I have seen it claimed that late Akito's are superior to the Ittok but have no idea if that is correct.

Unfortunately that's what I have been thinking and planning for a while!

Surely there must be something that comes close at a slightly more reasonable price!

I would also like to hear opinions about other arms that one can fit to the LP12.

I have a fairly high spec LP12 (Tangerine Plateau, Cirkus, Naim Geddon, Ittok, Prefix etc) and have long considered what other options there are without fitting an Ekos SE which seems to be the final and very expensive end game.
Hi,
I too have stiletto/plateau/ Ittok combo and mighty fine it is.
One of my considered upgrades is the arm,although it has already been rewired by J7 at Audio Origami and works extremely well.
We're I to change the arm, J7's own PU7 or Uniarm would certainly be very strong contenders.
I urge you to check them out.
Bespoke arms at sensible prices.
KR
Andy

With today's range of manufacturers and choices I can't help thinking that there must a slightly more cost effective alternative to the Linn Ekos SE though.

Once heard Ekos v Aro through Naim/Epos system. Aro was better (more organic).

Origin Live seem to get rave reviews, but bear in mind that with Linn/Rega/SME the resale values are high.

Hi,
I too have stiletto/plateau/ Ittok combo and mighty fine it is.
One of my considered upgrades is the arm,although it has already been rewired by J7 at Audio Origami and works extremely well.
We're I to change the arm, J7's own PU7 or Uniarm would certainly be very strong contenders.
I urge you to check them out.
Bespoke arms at sensible prices.
KR
Andy

Aboslutely this - at present I'm using a Roksan Nima which is a stunningly good arm, especially for the price. Works like a charm on the LP12 and feel no reason at all to upgrade. If I did, I'd be beating a path to Johnnie's door for a Uniarm but would have to get a really good listen to one vs the Nima.

Unfortunately that's what I have been thinking and planning for a while!

Surely there must be something that comes close at a slightly more reasonable price!

Yes, potentially there are a great number of alternatives - it depends how far from the Linn axis you are prepared to venture. My friend Roger has recently experienced great success with a Zeta arm for example. However, the Zeta only exists as a second hand purchase these days and many of the arms likely to be in competition with the Ekos SE (and better than an Ittok) are going to be similarly expensive.

Personally I prefer the Aro but that too is only available second hand and if you already own a Linn mount Keel isn't likely to be your choice as you would need a new Keel.

You could hunt down a Mission 774. I'm loving mine.

JNrIZfE.jpg

Once heard Ekos v Aro through Naim/Epos system. Aro was better (more organic).

Origin Live seem to get rave reviews, but bear in mind that with Linn/Rega/SME the resale values are high.

ARO (if you can find one!)

I wouldn't touch any tonearm from Linn IMHO.

I agree with Ann & Jair I use a Stiletto, Plateau, Armeggedon, Aro and Kiseki Blue NS absolutely Paradise for me. I’ve had the Aro for over 10 years one of the last ones built. What I like about Naim they hit right from the start no MK 1, 2’s etc.

If you can find an Aro go for it I don’t know what the 2nd hand value is having a guess £1400?

Regards,

Martin

Neglecting the times when they were available your Linn hierarchy goes Basik - Basik plus - Akito (I think there are 2 models) - Ittok (2 models again) - Ekos (2 models). As others say you are not stuck with Linn. My first LP12 came with a Notts Analogue. WTF, I thought, then played it and it's better than an Ittok. Said arm now lives on my Garrard 401 and I will keep it until everything else I possess is ashes.

I like unipivots, so I'd be looking at Nimas, Aro (the only Naim product I have heard that I would allow in the front door), Notts, and maybe Mayware and Hadcock. The latter are cheap, the Aro hugely expensive. Worth the difference? Who knows?

I have 2 PU7''s, a standard 9" which I have used for a long time , and a 12" (thanks Karl) which I'm going to put on a 401 . About the former, originally I was a little underwhelmed until I realised that the arm was producing less garbage than the Ittok I had been using previously. I would thourally recommend a PU7 to anybody looking for an arm.

Another arm I would recommend is a Morch up4, I can't say it's better than an Aro as I haven't heard one, it at the moment I'm using one on my Linn and am very happy with it along with a Benz wood.

advertisement

Back