advertisement

Solid state amp for Klipsch Heresy II

Tony, do you know how much difference there is between the TA2020, the TA2021, the TA2024 and the TA2025?

If it has to be Solidstate, then a T-Amp is the way to go, I have used some TA2020 based and they have been great.
I used an Amptastic One, very good!
https://www.amptastic.com/
Temple Audio are a good source of another UK based manufacturer:
http://www.templeaudio.net/

Other than that, I used a ~1.5wpc Decware Zen with some Hereseys, great match athough I did not get on with the speakers overall.

Tony, do you know how much difference there is between the TA2020, the TA2021, the TA2024 and the TA2025?

No, only that the TA2020 apears to be the one people like, the one with the sound quality reputation. I went no further than the Amptastic. I bought the Topping first, realised it sounded very good but had a coule of issues (very quiet high pitched whine) and then bought the Amptastic as it was allegedly the same chip taken about as far as you can. The Temple Audio has an excellent reputation too.

Is SS an absolute must? How about hybrid? Some tubey goodness with far less faf and heat! As Tony says they really love a bit of valve warmth... also you never clarified budget? Amptastic is insanely good for what it costs, but what it costs is nowt in the scheme of things.

I'd have a bit of a browse of the Klipsch forum too, there are lots of threads on this topic...

Is SS an absolute must? How about hybrid? Some tubey goodness with far less faf and heat! As Tony says they really love a bit of valve warmth... also you never clarified budget? Amptastic is insanely good for what it costs, but what it costs is nowt in the scheme of things.

I'd have a bit of a browse of the Klipsch forum too, there are lots of threads on this topic...

A hybrid will not necessarily sound "valvey" (I should start a campaign against the words "tube" and "tubey"... or do we wait for "gas" to replace petrol?). I make a few items of hybrid kit and there is definitely no intention that it sound in any way valvey...

Of course not necessarily! Heck, some valve kit doesn't sound valvey and the valveyest sounding thing I've ever heard was a Behringer modelling bass preamp I used to have that was all DSP! In my defence I lived in the US for some of my formative years and saw more Klipsch over there than I have ove here; do it kinda makes sense I'd slip into "talking American!" :D

I love Heresys, I messed around with a pair for a few years, wish I still had them. Initially I ran them with. Edenlake EL34 amp. It was much the same amp as the Icon Audio EL34. That was nice, a Manley Stingray was a big upgrade. Running in what was effectively a single-ended mode it made a lovely liquid sound with a huge amount of shove. Those speakers are like huge Linn Kans, the way they time is extraordinary. Then I had children. Hot glass bottles were banned, and in an effort to retain the fluidity of the valves I bought an expensive Shanling amp, that was all class A. It was ok, but all the magic had gone. I also heard some Heresy’s once on the end of an Avondaled 32/110, with an Avondale power supply. This was not a good thing! It was a complete mismatch.

I would seriously consider using Quad amps. A 303 would love it. Add a 34 pre-amp and it would sound great. I’ve heard that combination running big Tannoys and Tony’s La Scalas, it’s fantastic. I’d also consider a 306, but I suspect you don’t need the extra grunt it offers.

The little Tripath amp is fabulous also if it meets your needs. Passive pre-amps are great in the right context. I’d seriously consider trying to borrow a passive pre, or make one! Tony has one he built in a Tupperware tub! Then try a Quad 303 and the tripath options. See if they give you what you’re looking for. Also build the raisers. That makes a big difference to the sound.

advertisement

Back