1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SKS Model One

Discussion in 'classic' started by applecrunch, Feb 26, 2012.

1. applecrunch

applecrunch New Member

Hi

Long ago, about 1979, i worked in Reading. The local hi fi shop was Reading Cassette & Hi Fi, and I often gazed through the windows.

Come the day, I decided that I had to have some new speakers. Arranged to go in and listen to a selection. As I remember my budget was somewhere around £300 a pair.

I listened to 7 or 8 pairs of the well known names from the magazines, and was unable to make a firm decision. At this point the man who ran it unveiled, or mentioned , another pair of speakers that I'd never heard of.

They were SKS Model One's. As I remember, I believe he said they were made somewhere near Bristol. Anyway, I only had to listen to them for a little while, and they seemed to be in a different league to the others. And I chose them.

Can anyone tell me a little more about them.

Also, at some point, I blew the driver on one speaker. I was a long way away from Reading, and could find no trace of SKS. I replaced them with a pair of KEF Reference 101/2 units.

I've today pulled the SKS's out from the back of the cupboard, to review my messing around of all those years ago. The main driver is (Audax?) HD20 B25 H 8ohm. Crossover/wiring is missing. Tweeter still in place.

Any advice please.

2. applecrunch

applecrunch New Member

Anyone....?