advertisement

Sigur Ros TV Special - Culture Show BBC2 1150 tonight

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
If anyone here's interested:

In this special edition of the Culture Show Verity Sharp meets the four piece Icelandic band Sigur Ros in their native country and on their visit to the UK in October for the Electric Proms.

Sigur Ros's music is very distinctive - soaring, haunting, even beautiful. The band recently won a Q Award for Innovation in Sound. They've sold two million albums globally and their music has been used as a soundtrack on trailers for the BBC series Planet Earth.

Verity talks to the band about their unique sound and their film Heima, which chronicles a series of unannounced gigs they played in Iceland last year.

I thought the 'acoustic song' in the woody studio was superb (and felt like a completely different band)- WAY better than their normal atmospheric meanderings which I can't do at all. I guess this was a one-off/ 'unplugged' song as it were for them?

I thought the 'acoustic song' in the woody studio was superb (and felt like a completely different band)- WAY better than their normal atmospheric meanderings which I can't do at all. I guess this was a one-off/ 'unplugged' song as it were for them?

I didn't hear the track but it sounds like it may be similar to those on the second disc of their new double-disc "Hvarf-Heim":

Sigur Rós release a 2 CD set featuring all-new recordings titled "Hvarf - Heim". The album has two titles because it is in effect two separate, but complementary, entities with two front covers and is issued as a limited edition run of two discs. Open it one way and it's "Hvarf" ("Disappeared" or "Haven"), a five track electric studio record comprising mainly unreleased rarities from Sigur Rós's back-pages, none of which features on "Heima" (the double DVD release issued on the same day). It features three previously unreleased songs ("Salka", "Hljómalind" and "Í Gær") alongside radical re-workings of two tracks from their debut album "Von". Open it the other way and it's "Heim" ("Home"), a six track live acoustic record, comprising delicate new unplugged versions of some of Sigur Rós's finest moments, which have never been performed in this way before.

(from Piccaddilly Records)

I thought the programme was good last night. I've always liked Sigur Ros and I've just ordered the Ltd 2xDVD thing with book from Amazon.

Tony.

I caught a bit of the -inevitablly for bbc- *nth time repeat hoping to hear the one stand-out acoustic song (Imo) played in their studio: wasn't on it so I struggled on with the rest..

is it on this repeat does anyone know? Im sorry I dunno what its called sviiieeooo or summat poss (& its not the one @5mins).

I only caught half and hoping for another tv repeat so I can hear it on my hifi.

I remember reading about their old municipal swimming pool studio in Sound on Sound back in 2000 or something so it was good to see it on tv. I can't believe how long they've around already..

Have a look at the fan site at Sigurros.co.uk where you can stream a concert from a couple of years back.

I was lucky enough to catch their tour film at Chapter in Cardiff. Its well worth seeing on the big screen.

Chris

I too was lucky and managed to bag the deluxe edition Heima dvd for £24 from Diverse, a lovely, honest piece of film (not sure about the fish heads tho), and supplemented nicely by the Culture show special the other day.

They recorded Takk on flaky old retro analogue equipment at the swimming pool studio and it really does sound nice on vinyl.
I also vaguely remember watching them support Radiohead in 2000.

I saw their album "In a Frozen Sea" in that London today.

Nice packaging, book and all but...... £170.00.

I will wait until the sales I think.

DS

I recently got a Sigur Ros album and think its pretty good, but anyone who likes that should check out 'Mum'. Summer Make Good is a good album from them. :)

advertisement

Back