advertisement

Sick NAD CDP - anything I can do?

Nic Robinson

My NAD C541 has developed a fault. About half the times the drawer closes, the whirring sound of the loading motor continues, then spits the drawer out again. I took off the top and watched. Basically the drawer closes fine, but the laser assembly is not being lifted into position. Both these jobs are done by the same motor btw. I took out the transport and manually closed the drawer by turning the cog. The thing worked smoothly this way and I couldn't see any mechanical reason for it not to work every time. Once I put it back together it was back the the same intermittent fault, however.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the little drive belt slipping? Or, could I replace the transport (assuming it's standard).

Many thanks,

Nic.

Slipping belt is a strong possibility; either greasy or just stretched with age. If not there's probably a limit switch which isn't being engaged correctly - these things are usually quite crude.

Pop over if you have no joy and we'll have a play :)

You can check the belt by cleaning it with a bit of wet and dry, then dropping in a cup of boiling water for a minute or so. Measure the belt diameter first; if this fixes it then order a new belt a few mm smaller (it will fail again in a few weeks!).

Richard

Thanks, both. I'll try a belt. Martin, does Hannay in Bath sell things like that? If not, where do I get one?

Cheers,

Nic.

advertisement

Back