advertisement

Should I splash the cash on a Goldpoint?

Another Khozmo fan here. Popped one into a DIY Aclass pre-amp and am delighted with the results (upgraded from a Valab stepper). I know others who have used the DACT and report siimilar results. I really like the 64 steps, for more usable than 32.

And now I've just found this in my parts box..

aWmR2JN.jpg

9 years old and working fine...

I feel an acrylic fronted B4 pre-amp coming on.

I would like to replace an 32-indent (ALPS) attenuator with a stepped one on my preamp, but I can't see any maker of a 32-stepper. Can anyone point me in the right direction, besides squirting contact cleaner into the existing component?

Here's a picture with the Valab fitted, sound is improved I think
Lower volume steps are a little coarse but acceptable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlfhyjb2fo0jxfq/IMG_0575.JPG?dl=0

There is enough room to flush fit a Goldpoint just, but the spindle will stick out 25mm!
Has anyone fitted one?

Goldpoint 24 20k would seem a good move and reportedly has better low volume steps?
Would 25k be better from this point of view?
Should I try x2 monos and do away with the selector?

Thanks Tony for the new forum,
My Goldpoint is stuck with Parcelforce. Anyone else any experience?

Last edited:
If I ever stumble across one of them Round Tuit's I'm planning on making myself a stepped attenuator using reed relays.. I dug out some old boards with a load of mil spec reed relays and started on designing the electronics to control the relays (TTL. Non of those new fangled PIC's or anything here!) but that's as far as I got with it so far.

If I ever stumble across one of them Round Tuit's I'm planning on making myself a stepped attenuator using reed relays.. I dug out some old boards with a load of mil spec reed relays and started on designing the electronics to control the relays (TTL. Non of those new fangled PIC's or anything here!) but that's as far as I got with it so far.

Before you do that, I suggest you read the article on reed relay distortion by Samuel Groner and Bruno Putzeys in Linear Audio volume 13.

v13%20sg%26bp%20abstract.PNG

Interesting. But those distortion levels are infinitesimal and I'm unlikely to be putting more than a mA through the contacts. Building it for zero money from parts to hand is the overriding concern...

I tried the Valab ebay offering for a couple of weeks which sounded good but had an agricultural feel and the steps were useless

The Goldpoint however is amazing in terms of sound quality, clear and spacious with a sweet sound
Listening through active SBLs is a revelation
I will do a careful comparison with the 52 Scap, but at the moment I think the 72 Goldpoint may beat it

I tried the Valab ebay offering for a couple of weeks which sounded good but had an agricultural feel and the steps were useless

The Goldpoint however is amazing in terms of sound quality, clear and spacious with a sweet sound
Listening through active SBLs is a revelation
I will do a careful comparison with the 52 Scap, but at the moment I think the 72 Goldpoint may beat it

I knew you would end up with one, dam good aren’t they.
Can’t believe any one would use a potentiometer.

Pete

advertisement

Back