advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

I am asking what you know, either personally or professionally, of the psychological damage that all raped women suffer.

I think it is clear to any person with 2 brain cells what the impact is:

Probably the most common psychological consequences of rape is self-blame. Victims use self-blame as an avoidance-based coping tool.

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – feelings of severe anxiety and stress
Depression
Flashbacks – memories of rape as if it is taking place again
Borderline personality disorder
Sleep disorders
Eating disorders
Dissociative identity disorder
Guilt
Distrust of others – uneasy in everyday social situations
Anger
Feelings of personal powerlessness – victims feel the rapist robbed them of control over their bodies

http://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/rape/effects-of-rape-psychological-and-physical-effects-of-rape/

So what you know, either personally or professionally, that would challenge the above effects of rape.

It's generally acknowledged that following a rape, of a woman or of a man, the psychological damage is in general far more severe than in the case of a non sexual violent assault. It is an assault on the most private area of the body, after all. As to degree of damage, there is of course no one size fits all. Some people will be emotionally crippled, some not. There are thousands of cases, all different.

Nevertheless, your assertion that violent mugging victims suffer as much damage as a rape victim is very much at odds with the received wisdom from those who have to deal with these things as part of a job. I suspect that if you aired that opinion amongst police officers you'd get laughed at.

I very strongly disagree! This debate could get as circular as the average cable thread...! People have strongly entrenched views.
Another piece of modern PC nonsense is child abuse. Horrific as it is, the child lives. One would think from the reaction of many people and tabloids today that if a child is sexually abused then it is WORSE than if they had been murdered... bollocks! Life itself is the most precious and irreplaceable thing there is, once that has been taken there is nothing left...

I think it is clear to any person with 2 brain cells what the impact is:

Probably the most common psychological consequences of rape is self-blame. Victims use self-blame as an avoidance-based coping tool.

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – feelings of severe anxiety and stress
Depression
Flashbacks – memories of rape as if it is taking place again
Borderline personality disorder
Sleep disorders
Eating disorders
Dissociative identity disorder
Guilt
Distrust of others – uneasy in everyday social situations
Anger
Feelings of personal powerlessness – victims feel the rapist robbed them of control over their bodies

http://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/rape/effects-of-rape-psychological-and-physical-effects-of-rape/

So what you know, either personally or professionally, that would challenge the above effects of rape.

Where did you get that list from?

I don't claim to know what raped women feel.

Anyone updating their opinion now that original conviction has been quashed and a retrial is planned?

Must admit, the case being sent for retrial does surprise me. Under the recent interpretation of the law he did indeed commit the offence he was charged with ergo, the fact there is a retrial would suggest that, there is a suspicion that the testimony given at the original trial was not the whole story.

The problem with the case is that it's open to interpretation i.e. was she capable of giving assent, and if she wasn't should Evans have realised that. With a different jury it could go another way I suspect.

True however, the law states that one has to have plain and clear assent for the act to be lawful. I can't see any other reason other than, there is doubt over testimony given to re-open the case.

Anyone updating their opinion now that original conviction has been quashed and a retrial is planned?

Nope. Always thought the verdict was extremely dodgy.

The alleged ignoring of evidence such as her "win big" tweets & the fact she'd allegedly tried a similar stunt with a rugby player. Plus the concerned porter's evidence that he listened in & heard no signs of objection.

He could be due a huge compensation claim.

The reason for the successful appeal is that the Appeal Court was presented with evidence not available at the original trial. As such a retrial seems appropriate.

Or a second conviction.

Well quite possibly. I do get the feeling that there are some jealous, bitter types who want him to be guilty, because he's a footballer, which is quite sad.

We all have one thing in common here, we weren't in that hotel room. I always thought our law was built on the premise that you're "innocent until proven guilty".

If he really is guilty, I'd want him to be punished. I have a 24yo daughter. If she were raped, I'd give up my life to sort the perpetrator. I'm definitely no supporter of rapists. I also have a son though. False accusation of rape is an evil offence. This girl allegedly has previous. As a young rugby player & in my early days contracting, I got up to similar things several times. Always willing participants. I know it's not Barbara Cartland, but it's not rape!

The reason for the successful appeal is that the Appeal Court was presented with evidence not available at the original trial. As such a retrial seems appropriate.
Is it safe to infer that this evidence isn't clearly exculpatory, otherwise they'd not have ordered the retrial after quashing the conviction?

Paul

Is it safe to infer that this evidence isn't clearly exculpatory, otherwise they'd not have ordered the retrial after quashing the conviction?

Paul

It is not safe to assume anything, given that we don't know what the new evidence is, except that the Appeal Court thinks that it should be tested before a jury.

I still can't get my head around the idea that in a threesome a woman can be sober enough to give consent to one of the blokes but too pissed to give consent to the other one.

It is not safe to assume anything, given that we don't know what the new evidence is, except that the Appeal Court thinks that it should be tested before a jury.
I wasn't suggesting assumptions.

I don't know legally whether the appeal court could quash the conviction and not order a retrial.

Paul

I still can't get my head around the idea that in a threesome a woman can be sober enough to give consent to one of the blokes but too pissed to give consent to the other one.

I am not far from that either but first time round enough other information was revealed that convinced the jury of his guilt so I will happily accept that. Next time round what are the chances of an unbiased trail? If you were a jury member could you put your hand on your heart and say you knew nothing about the case and could approach it with no preconceived ideas? Why not get 3 judges to review the case? The law is a tricky beast. Combine that with rape and "celebrity" and you have a heady cocktail of hell.

advertisement

Back