advertisement

Shooting in texas

At least the yanks are partially self regulating... in that they cull themselves, keeping down numbers and winning bigly at Darwin Awards.

Very good point with a depressingly simple answer: Trump is just targeting everything Obama changed for the hell of it, it’s an ego trip, ‘because he can’.
Except this wasn't instigated by Trump, he just didn't veto it. Which I think he would have found politically tricky.

Never let the reality interfere, and it's always best not to know what you are talking about..

You don't need new gun laws to tackle illegally held guns, just law enforcement.

Paul

Yomanze,

Very good point with a depressingly simple answer: Trump is just targeting everything Obama changed for the hell of it, it’s an ego trip, ‘because he can’.
That's the long and short of it: Undo every bit of Obama's legacy.

http://time.com/5011519/texas-church-shooting-mental-health-donald-trump/

In February 2017, Trump signed a bill that undid a regulation from Barack Obama’s presidency which said the Social Security Administration would have to report certain mentally ill recipients and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database, NBC reports. The Obama Administration said the rule would have added 75,000 names to the database.

You don't need new gun laws to tackle illegally held guns, just law enforcement.

Paul

Pretty much every gun, even those that don’t fit any civilian requirement are legal so it’s a moot statement.

At least the yanks are partially self regulating... in that they cull themselves, keeping down numbers and winning bigly at Darwin Awards.

Of the 26 people murdered in Texas, 12 were innocent children. The youngest was just 18 months old.

Maybe you should try imagining what this looked like before your next attempt at a witty post.

Trump is doing it because Obama is African American, or Kenyan African. :rolleyes:

A sad situation but there will be another tragedy tomorrow and the day after that etc. The American public are collectively responsible, for refusing to vote for politicians that propose common sense reform.

Of the 26 people murdered in Texas, 12 were innocent children. The youngest was just 18 months old.

Maybe you should try imagining what this looked like before your next attempt at a witty post.

On the other hand, it is quite obvious to all that lack of gun control is the problem, yet collectively the American people refuse to admit it or do anything about it.

Is it any wonder that many people outside the USA think that Americans are rather dumb and end up making disparaging comments?

Apparently the USAF forgot to add his name to the felony (he was discharged after beating his first wife and child and a detention period) list. But easy access to military grade weapons turns a domestic dispute into a mass murder. This is very unlikely to happen anywhere except the USA.

Just watching BBC Breakfast, some expert on America saying there have been 305 mass shooting in the states this year (where 3 or more people died) and over 13100 people shot!

Just watching BBC Breakfast, some expert on America saying there have been 305 mass shooting in the states this year (where 3 or more people died) and over 13100 people shot!

DN6ILZLVoAU4weg.jpg

Pretty much every gun, even those that don’t fit any civilian requirement are legal so it’s a moot statement.
We're discussing US gun regulation in the context of a shooting where the murderer used (an) illegally held gun(s). So surely apposite.

If we were to talk US murder rates then we wouldn't be waiting for mass shootings. I think I've linked to this before, http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/06/guns-and-states/ but it is worth reading.

If you're interested in evidence based policy and saving lives of course, which many contributors here clearly are not. The USA is an easy target for the prejudiced.

Paul

But, Paul, a question arises as to how much easier it must be for the shooter to (illegally) acquire a (legal) weapon when such weapons are universally available, surely?

Quite. I know nothing about guns, I have no idea where I'd get one in the UK, or indeed supplies of ammunition. However in the USA even I can find a gun shop. After that getting someone to buy one for me ought to be easy.

We've had multiple killings in the UK, or attempts at them. We all know that a machete or samurai sword is a fearsome weapon but even Bruce Lee couldn't hack through 30 people in one go before he was stopped, either by a Millwall supporter or the Police.

We're discussing US gun regulation in the context of a shooting where the murderer used (an) illegally held gun(s). So surely apposite.

If you're interested in evidence based policy and saving lives of course, which many contributors here clearly are not. The USA is an easy target for the prejudiced.

Paul

Again NO.

The NRA make it nigh on impossible to enforce those rules anyway.

They successfully lobbied for the use of computers in gun registrations be prohibited. The ATF have to do all the work by hand and on paper, the NRA also lobbied for the budget on managing them restricted so the ATF are also massively understaffed in this area.

advertisement

Back