advertisement

Shooting in texas

Let's not forget teh Abuser in Chief repealed legislation that stopped 75,000 people with dangerous mental illnesses from being able to buy guns.

What you never do is shrink the market. Once we are free of the tyranny of the EU and open ourselves to our natural allies across the pond, the Brit market for guns and chloro-chickens will be yuge.

What a horrible shame, again.

The narrative is very clear though:

* White man mass murder = mentally unstable, or 'lone wolf'
* Middle-Eastern / Asian man mass murder = terrorism
* Black man mass murder = rare

If it is a mental health issue, rather than a gun issue, why did Trump overturn the background check regulation that the Obama administration put in place after the Sandy Hook mass shooting, legislation that aimed at making it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...-guns-thank-trump_us_58b71aeae4b023018c6c6424

And, big surprise, that decision was welcomed by the NRA at the time.

In a statement by spokesman Chris Cox, the National Rifle Association applauded Trump’s decision.

“Today marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our right to keep and bear arms,” Cox said. “We are pleased that this example of government overreach will no longer be pursued.”

Joe

BBC reports that the gunman had just been tipped out of the US armed forces for domestic violence. Well done, USA, you allow someone with a history of violence, sufficiently severe to get tipped out of the forces, the right to arm bears. What could possibly go wrong?

As the right to keep and bear arms is enshrined in the constitution, does it matter what the president thinks? A change in mindset and the constitution is clearly the only way forward. They were able to repeal Prohibition, which no doubt seemed a good idea at the time, so why not this provision? Householders having muskets might have been vital to the success of the War of Independence, but I'd suggest that enough years have passed since 1776 that the United States can afford to relax.

As the right to keep and bear arms is enshrined in the constitution, does it matter what the president thinks? A change in mindset and the constitution is clearly the only way forward. They were able to repeal Prohibition, which no doubt seemed a good idea at the time, so why not this provision? Householders having muskets might have been vital to the success of the War of Independence, but I'd suggest that enough years have passed since 1776 that the United States can afford to relax.

Just replace the word ‘bear’ with ‘bare’ in the constitution. Simples.

Every time with these threads, and there have been many, we all say the same thing and nothing happens - and it never will. Republican Presidents, Democrat Presidents makes no difference. Why do you waste time with it and why do I saying you are wasting time with it?

@Waldtuefel (still alive it seems) Prohibition, as the word suggests, stopped people from doing something they wanted to do; the Second Amendment allows them to do what they want to do.

Joe P. may be familiar with this Canadian Prohibition-era rhyme:

Four and twenty Yankees, feeling very dry
Went across the border to get a drink of rye
When the rye was opened, the Yanks began to sing
God bless America, but God save the King

Lovely stuff, Canadian rye whisky, if never particularly old. Back to the topic, I don't actually think many Americans want guns in their houses. It's just that the ones who do are so vociferous, influential and have the second amendment backing them up. In Ireland or Switzerland, this would be put to a referendum.

Sorry if I'm not dead yet. We are, in such matters, at the mercy of a higher power.

I don't actually think many Americans want guns in their houses.
They do, you know. I know a few Americans with guns, they don't have an interest in shooting them, they don't use them, but they want to own them like I want to own a collection of woodworking tools. I'm not doing anything clever with my hand saw but it's useful if I have a bit of hedge getting a bit assertive.

A lot of guns sold in America are nasty cheap things that are no use for target shooting or hunting because they are crappy, crudely engineered and inaccurate objects but they are a very deadly weapon at close range. You don't need to spend $1000 on a Glock in order to have a gun.

Waldteufel,

We are, in such matters, at the mercy of a higher power.
I would say not. Gun control legislation and background checks do reduce the frequency and severity of mass slaughters.

It's not the solution Republicans want to hear. They seem more concerned with praying for and thinking about the bullet-riddled corpses after the preventable mass slaughters.

Joe

While America/Hollywood keep pushing gun heroes onto impressionable Americans, the culture of America being born of the gun will continue to flourish. The threat of that culture being ripped away from their hearts is deeply offensive and frightening.

**** your thoughts and prayers.
**** your messages of support and solidarity.
That shit is dirt cheap.

Exactly.
Anyway Dotard doesn't pray of course. Neither does he think of anyone but himself. Solidarity is a word he can neither spell or understand. And support is for losers.

Texas Governor says that Kelley had been denied a gun ownership permit, so the guns weren't legally held.

The gun control ping pong always goes off after a shooting, it's nothing much to do with reducing gun death in the USA, it's base politics.

I don't know the specifics of the law in Texas, but if the guns weren't sold legally, then perhaps holding the supplier jointly liable for the consequences would concentrate minds.

Paul

perhaps holding the supplier jointly liable for the consequences would concentrate minds.

Paul

Good luck with that one. You know that the USA doesn't even have a computerised system for gun ownership and sales, don't you? It really is a paper system, the gun lobby managed to shut down a proposal that all gun sales and ownerships be registered and held on a computer database that regulatory authorities would be able to trace a gun that they were interested in.

You couldn't make it up. The Third World manages to register every car and motorbike, how can the wealthiest nation on earth not manage it for guns?

If it is a mental health issue, rather than a gun issue, why did Trump overturn the background check regulation that the Obama administration put in place after the Sandy Hook mass shooting, legislation that aimed at making it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...-guns-thank-trump_us_58b71aeae4b023018c6c6424

And, big surprise, that decision was welcomed by the NRA at the time.

Joe

Very good point with a depressingly simple answer: Trump is just targeting everything Obama changed for the hell of it, it’s an ego trip, ‘because he can’.

advertisement

Back