advertisement

Shanling ET3 CD Transport

Might be a "blink and you've missed it" chance but I returned one of these not even taken out of the box to advancedmp3players the other week. It isn't in their clearance section so I suspect it has gone but could be worth an enquiry. I decided an ex-demo Saturn Mk3 was better suited to my needs.

Might be a "blink and you've missed it" chance but I returned one of these not even taken out of the box to advancedmp3players the other week. It isn't in their clearance section so I suspect it has gone but could be worth an enquiry. I decided an ex-demo Saturn Mk3 was better suited to my needs.
What put you off it epo ? And yes i saw your ad

What put you off it epo ? And yes i saw your ad
I wanted a top loader and didn't have a DAC. Just after the Shanling turned up I saw the Saturn Mk3 for £1400, adding a DAC to the Shanling might have brought me close to that and I just felt happier about a UK built/supported transport/player.

Still enjoying my ET3. In combination with an SMSL DO300EX DAC it's as good a digital front end that I've owned. That includes a Saturn-R.

Currently using the USB output but will try the I2S at some point.

Good points? Looks & feels like a quality product. Reads discs quicker than any newer CDP I've owned (but still not as quick as my Rotel RCD-965BX). Display is small but still perfectly legible in bright weather.

Bad points? Cheap plastic remote is a let down. No direct track access on the remote is occasionally annoying as well. Not sure if you have direct track access using the app rather than the remote, I haven't managed to connect the unit to my WiFi. In fairness I only tried briefly to connect it when I first got it, I have my WiiM Pro for streaming duties.

Would I recommend one? Yes, absolutely. If you want an excellent sounding, well built, compact CD transport then I don't think it has much competition at its price point.

TS

advertisement

Back