advertisement

Shane MacGowan hits 60!

The Far North

pfm Member
Observer piece that's worth a few minutes of your time.
“Shane always seems to be channelling something when he sings,” says Cave. “Some kind of energy that exists beyond himself. I saw him at a soundcheck at a festival in France, and he walked up to the mike and stood with his hands in his pockets and sang A Pair Of Brown Eyes, and for the few of us that were there time stood still. There was so much emotional power coming out of him, without him doing a ****ing thing, that you had to question your ideas of divinity.” Five hours later, though, MacGowan was unfit to perform. “That is the other side of him, of course,” says Cave. “But we love that too.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/14/shane-macgowan-60-musical-legacy-pogues

Happy Birthday Shane! Fond memories of seeing The Pogues from the photographer's pit at the Cambridge folk festival when I was 12 and less fond memories of seeing them at Reading 5 or 6 years later.

I remember hearing the first couple of Pogues singles on the radio whilst working on building singles in the eighties. It was only the decorator apprentice and myself
got into it. He pestered me to go and see them live, which we did in Hammersmith. I told him as we were going Irish for the evening and could only drink Guinness.
My wife suggested this is not a good idea but did partake. Hooligan (the apprentice) lay prostrate on the floor at the gig, except for the occasional leg twitching to his favourite arias.
They were might good live. I still have the first 2 albums, but rarely play them now.

Bloss

I saw them at the Hacienda; the 'mosh pit' was so vigorous that one young gentleman was ejected wearing one trouser leg and nothing else!

Got hooked on The Pogues after seeing them do Sally MacLennane on the Whistle Test , he once said he would never die for a drink .

advertisement

Back