advertisement

Shahinian Compass

Shane2468

pfm Member
Thinking of saving up for a used pair. Ideally for a mark 2. I refuse to buy new. Very pricey!

Anyone here using the Compass?

Thanks.

S.

Personally I think the Arcs sound better and are around the same price or less secondhand.

Nothing wrong with the Compass they sound great, but the Arc's however have a lot more welly and sound better in my system.

Yes - I bought a Mk1 pair recently from Gaius of this parish. I'd been wanting to try some for a while and a pair came up. Arcs were tempting, but as i need fairly close to wall placement i was concerned about the rear ABR needing a bit of room.

I'd tried Larsen Model 6 speakers the year before and ultimately didn't get on with them which was a shame as they were designed to work up against the back wall.

The Compass wasn't as easy to place as i thought they would be and have needed quite a bit of experimentation as they use more of the room to work. I've settled on them about 20cm from the back wall and slightly toed in and this seems to work best for me. Very easy to move around as there are no spikes to level etc. So far they are proving to be very enjoyable and i've had a lot of fun with them over the last 3 weeks. I've still got a few more speakers i want to listen to before making a final decision (i don't change speakers very often) but am in no rush at the moment :)

James

I am happily listening to some mk1 Compass speakers at the moment. I really like them and appreciate their un-fussy nature re amplification and placement. Although when new they are not far behind the price of Arcs, 2nd hand they are usually quite a bit cheaper.

The plus/minus with the Arc is probably its passive bass radiator. Its a positive because, coupled with the Arcs more extensive array of drivers, it gives the Arc more scale BUT in my experience PBR's do demand more thought being given to amplification. Compass's do not so seem to be so choosy about amplification.

Arc's will not always better Compass. If the room suits the Arc they have the potential to sound better. It's not as straightforward as you might think. I've owned Compass, Arc and Obelisk, and in my room the Compass is the best.

I'd tried Larsen Model 6 speakers the year before and ultimately didn't get on with them which was a shame as they were designed to work up against the back wall.
James

Interesting. I heard a pair of Larsen 8s at the Windsor show recently and was very impressed. To the extent that I’d try a pair if a good set came up s/h.

Arc's will not always better Compass. If the room suits the Arc they have the potential to sound better. It's not as straightforward as you might think. I've owned Compass, Arc and Obelisk, and in my room the Compass is the best.

That echoes* my experience.

* :)

Interesting. I heard a pair of Larsen 8s at the Windsor show recently and was very impressed. To the extent that I’d try a pair if a good set came up s/h.

I did think about trying the 8's but they were just a bit too big. I'd certainly recommend trying a pair if you get the chance. The distributors are just next to the AWE at Aldermaston (i borrowed the 6's via MCRU and returned them there).

Shane, no issues with brightness. If anything the mid range can sound a bit 'polite'. Malcolm Stewards review in Hifi Critic sums then up much better than i can

http://shahinianacoustics.com/HFC9_Shahinian.pdf

Chaps

I have a NAP300 powering a MK1 Arc and I am quite happy with it. My ambition is so low now a days that I would settle for a MK2 Arc or a MK1 Obelisk.

Regards

Mick

I really liked mine, swapped for Obelisks but tbh in my room I should probably have stuck with the Compasses and would probably still have them today.

I am happily listening to some mk1 Compass speakers at the moment. I really like them and appreciate their un-fussy nature re amplification and placement. Although when new they are not far behind the price of Arcs, 2nd hand they are usually quite a bit cheaper.

The plus/minus with the Arc is probably its passive bass radiator. Its a positive because, coupled with the Arcs more extensive array of drivers, it gives the Arc more scale BUT in my experience PBR's do demand more thought being given to amplification. Compass's do not so seem to be so choosy about amplification.

If we can get the compasses with a courier and up to West Yorks I’ll gladly take them.

I don’t drive and it might be tricky carring them on the train.

Cheers Andy

advertisement

Back