advertisement

SET Amp recommendations?

if it measures poorly it is not Hi Fi

If quotes likes "measures poorly" are going to be used then we need to qualify this against something meaningful. As we all know equipment manufacturers back in the 1970s went down the road of making amps with ridiculously low distortion figures, like 0.00001%, but the trouble was most sounded very poor. I am not saying you need to ignore measurements because some are important. But can anyone hear the difference between two identical amplifiers, one with 0.1% distortion, and the other with 0.0001% distortion? And can our ears hear this difference at normal room listening levels? There are many other factors that determine how an amplifier sounds and performs in a given system. And seeing as SET amps are getting a rap in this thread you might want to think about why a very large percentage of the worlds most highly thought of HiFi brands manufacture and demonstrate with SET amplifiers...

I wouldn't use a low power SET with low sensitivity speakers. They should be driving >100dB horns, preferably band-passed.

If you are looking for something "different" why not try Tom Evans' Linear A hybrid?

If you want to try SET ditch the ProAcs and get some high efficiency speakers like Tannoy etc or if too big some full range drivers like Frugelhorns or horn loaded like Impulse H2 etc.

I don't see the point in bi-amping unless you are going to use active crossovers (that's not really bi-amping though) Bi-amping brings no advantages.

I wouldn't use a low power SET with low sensitivity speakers. They should be driving >100dB horns, preferably band-passed.

If you are looking for something "different" why not try Tom Evans' Linear A hybrid?

I wondered if someone would recommend this. There's no "sweetness" in a Linear A. Nothin' but neutral.

I use a 22 watt SET integrated amp with 93db efficiency speakers and it will embarrass quite a few solid state and non-SET tube amps. Good sound isn't always in the specs.

I have had good results with 2A3 amps - my favourite circuit is the JC Morrison 'micro 2A3', a direct coupled design that uses both sections of an 6sl7 as driver. EL84 works well in SE designs as does the EL34. For all SE stuff transformer quality is critical and they tend to be expensive.
For a fun way of trying out your idea, you could have a look for a Telefunken S80 series - it's an amp that was designed just to do high frequencies and was sold as a way of 'going stereo' with your mono equipment. There are usually a few for sale on a certain auction site

They need a few mods to sound good - more info here

If you want to try SET ditch the ProAcs and get some high efficiency speakers like Tannoy etc or if too big some full range drivers like Frugelhorns or horn loaded like Impulse H2 etc.

I don't see the point in bi-amping unless you are going to use active crossovers (that's not really bi-amping though) Bi-amping brings no advantages.

Bi amping brings several advantages... but not nearly as many as fully active.

I wondered if someone would recommend this. There's no "sweetness" in a Linear A. Nothin' but neutral.

The best thing for the OP to do is to try and determine whatever is causing the high frequency "aggressiveness". Could be electronic "grain" from the source or the amplification or the ProAc's tweeter.

If the amplifier is to blame then a Linear A would do the trick.

In any case he should avoid pairing a SET with his ProAcs.

Thanks for everyone's feedback - it seems there is no support for pairing my Proac tweeters with an SET amp.
I (wrongly?) thought that driving the tweeter on its own would work quite well with very low power valve amplification.

Moving away from Biamping is simply not possible for a number of setup reasons in my system.

With my amp choice I am not looking to tame very aggressive highs, they actually sound very good - musical, detailed, but just occasionally slightly clinical and not quite as lush as I would ideally like.

I don't mind getting it wrong and having to change amp again.
Ultimately I am looking to get the warmest (even coloured!) sound I can from those tweeters.

Perhaps a pure class A tube setup would be a better fit?

Thanks for everyone's feedback - it seems there is no support for pairing my Proac tweeters with an SET amp.
I (wrongly?) thought that driving the tweeter on its own would work quite well with very low power valve amplification.

Moving away from Biamping is simply not possible for a number of setup reasons in my system.

With my amp choice I am not looking to tame very aggressive highs, they actually sound very good - musical, detailed, but just occasionally slightly clinical and not quite as lush as I would ideally like.

I don't mind getting it wrong and having to change amp again.
Ultimately I am looking to get the warmest (even coloured!) sound I can from those tweeters.

Perhaps a pure class A tube setup would be a better fit?
If you are unhappy with the tonal balance of your speakers then that's what you should consider upgrading.
Traditionally ProAcs used to have a rising treble response, not sure if they still do.

I've counted Stewart amongst my friends for well over a decade I would imagine and owned most of the Proac range from Hexas to D100's.

Stewart's preferred amplification was always large Audio Research devices and the speakers are simply not designed for SET's.

If you want to sweeten up the D18, look to a reasonably priced s/h power amp.

My advice would be a Berning as I had tremendous success with the pairing. Failing that, a used Audio Research or maybe a sweet sounding Class A would do the trick. Finally, Sugden is also used often with the smaller Proacs.

I can kind of see the thinking, and have mulled on similar lunacy in the past, but the solution lies elsewhere I think
First and foremost, most of the valve effect you crave is found in the 'sound' of a pre amp stage, not a power amp. Or more correctly, power amps 'sound' less than pre amps do IME.
The simplest answer to your query is then to buy a sweet sounding valve pre amp stage(s) and use some very solid class A monoblock power amps to continue the warm but powerful line to the speakers.
Can you do that for the budget?
I doubt it.
OR just try something far eastern and cheap and see what happens (at low volumes and, if it goes BANG, please don' t sue)

advertisement

Back