advertisement

Sennheiser v Audeze

HD800's with a good tubed headamp may be te way to go. I sold my LCD3's as I found the high frequencies too recessed for me.

I have an April Music Eximus DP1 dac/pre/hp amp
I purchased a LCd3 with fazor with it.. wasnt too terribly impressed with it and went back to a set of HD650s with curve ..

I have owned an early set of the 800's and found them bright and somewhat fatiguing , despite trying different amps ..
I have read that the later serial no HD800 's are better..

I have an April Music Eximus DP1 dac/pre/hp amp
I purchased a LCd3 with fazor with it.. wasnt too terribly impressed with it and went back to a set of HD650s with curve ..

I have owned an early set of the 800's and found them bright and somewhat fatiguing , despite trying different amps ..
I have read that the later serial no HD800 's are better..

Yes, almost a different headphone! Who'd have thunk it?

the hd800 is very amp dependant. with a good amp, it can compete with focal utopia/stax no problem, but you need a very good and often expensive tube amp. the DNA stratus is probably one of the best amp for hd800.
with a unsuitable amp, the hd800S, hd800 or hd800SD will be bright with thin bass and slightly recessed mids. Bass boost goes a long way with the hd800, but the hd800 will always be slitghly cold/clinical in nature. Love and hate relationship with hd800 seems very common :)

I have hd800SD and focal utopia, I love both but i prefer the Utopia

imo, HEK v2, HD800, Focal Utopia, LCD-4 are the 4 open cans to try to audition and see which are for your favorite. they are all good choice!

only audeze id own is the lcd4 as they have finally resolved the highs, but lcd3 and lcd2 are very musical, but imo overpriced. id still use hd650 over lcd2/lcd3.

My thoughts echo many of the previous replies. I have both Audeze and HD800 headphones and use them for different listening.

The HD800s have a larger soundstage and clarity and are more detailed. I use these mainly for classical, acoustic and some jazz music or if I want to really concentrate on the sound. The Audeze are wonderful for rock, vocals, blues, etc. and my go to choice if I just want to relax with the music rather than having to really concentrate on it, if that makes sense.

They are so different that it's impossible to recommend one over the other without knowing how you listen to music. For me, if I could only have one pair, it would be the Audezes.

One other thing, I used to run the HD800s through a Trafomatic tube amp and the pairing was wonderful. I'd say the Audeze benefit from punchy and maybe brighter sounding amp, whereas the HD800s seem to sound better through the warmth of a tube amp. The HD800s also seem to benefit more with a balanced output than the Audeze.

I've owned HD800 and LCD-3 (as well as Stax 007), and the audeze were the most enjoyable pair overall. I don't know how they compare with the LCD2 but the LCD3 is so easy to listen to and feels nicely relaxed and open. The HD800 and Stax were just a bit too analytical and not fun for longer listening sessions.

advertisement

Back