advertisement

Second hand vinyl finds

Though many 78s have quite a large area of runout groove so possibly less of an issue than it might appear.

Yes, I’ve just checked a couple at random and it clamps pretty much at the edge of the playing surface, sometimes just over, sometimes just past. Potentially useable:

53289582248_b471230f91_b.jpg

I've not really looked closely yet, did the 78s have a standardised label size, or did they vary between (sorry!) labels ....?

Not sure. It isn’t my area to be honest, I’ve never traded in them as they are so breakable. They certainly seem to have different label materials, e.g. the Brunswick I picture looks like some kind of water-slide decal or printing, whereas HMV etc have more familiar paper labels. I suspect that Brunswick wouldn’t mind getting wet.

I've not really looked closely yet, did the 78s have a standardised label size, or did they vary between (sorry!) labels ....?
Yes they varied, especially the earlier you get and even within the same brand. The RIAA specfied a Minimum Inside Diameter, or somesuch. I don't know when and you'd need lo look that up for the spec (I'm too tired at the moment, sorry)

Of course he did, it's an audiophile record! ;)

Analogue Productions reissued it a few years ago with a different cover in red. It's a great album. Mine has the cover above, an original 6 eye. These old Ellington records are so underappreciated and it's still possible to pick them up at great prices.
I have it, it’s pretty good, from memory it doesn’t have Johnny Hodges on it though? Ellington is always good value, just not that collectible due to the size of the catalogue.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom