advertisement

Second hand EAR 509 value?

al2002

pfm Member
I've been offered a pair of early build (1981-2) one-owner 509s in good working order. The amps show minor signs of use, commensurate with age, but appear to work just fine. The original owner's handbook is included along with a new set of output valves.

Can't find much sales history for these amps on-line, so can 'fishers suggest a fair price?

I recently sold my EAR 890 for £2k, and generally a pair of 509s will be a bit more than an 890, though I've seen scruffy ones go for around £1500. One thing to note is that EAR will service, and upgrade your amps for a very reasonable fee, and they also can arrange courier transport far cheaper than you could do yourself, though taking them in personally is an great experience, as Tim deP is an amazing character.

I've got 509s, but mark 2s, which have LED biasing. Mine hark from '89/'90, but I didn't know the mark 1s went back to the beginning of the 80s. Mark 1s don't command as much as the 2s, and anyway neither incarnation comes up very often. Servicing at E.A.R. would probably set you back around £160 with carriage (and they'll do it on the day if you take them).

I'd imagine that if I were to sell mine (no chance !) I'd be asking £2.5K to £3K with spare valves. Maybe a max.limit of £2K for the mark 1s in good cond. but as the man said, £1500 would be a good buy; they are 45 years old ! The Anniversaries, which are more or less the same electrically, cost circa 10 grand. (or maybe more now?). Hope you've got a decent, and preferably, E.A.R., pre. in mind. B.t.w., boxes cost a small fortune (I paid £60 for the 912 !) so boxes would, i.m.o., influence the price.

There is a 509 mk. 1 pair for sale in Copenhagen for 3300 € = 2900£ with 12 months' warranty (serial numbers are 491/492). They are offered by a Danish dealer and they have been advertised for a months now on Audio-Markt.de.

Ludicrously over-priced; expensive even for mark twos; A pair of Anniversaries came up a year or two ago for £3500, I vaguely remember. That Danish dealer won't bring home the bacon at that price, serviced or not.:)

That is why is hasn't sold, no doubt. The mk 1 set that I was considering were originally advertised at 15000 DKK = 1775£ by a private seller. They are bound to pop up again in Denmark, now that I won't be making a deal with him.

Thanks for the responses chaps. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

JemHayward: I'm in the States, so service would be DIY. I believe the owner's handbook has a circuit diagram

Mike Reed: Will most likely use a Tact preamp.

advertisement

Back