advertisement

ScanSpeak speaker alignment question

I have a pair of linn kan's mark 1 serial num 018983/4 that need repairing, ie: tweeters and base/mid, is it p[ossible to get parts,:(

tweeter is no problem and an upgrade to the hyquaphon is well advised.

or you can stick with the scanspeak d2008 if you want to.

the bass unit is more problematic since the KEF B110A (early Kan) and KEF B110B (later kan) are both unavailable.

Wilmslow used to sell a monocor mid driver as a replacement but really it was a poor one.

I would recommend getting a new baffle cut with a different hole for a new bass unit.

There are some lovely units by Seas, scanspeak or Focal that are much nearer the character of the Kefs.

Alternatively do a search for some of the companies doing ls3/5a copies and look into what drivers they are using.

ps: i sold a pair of ls3/5a's to a bloke last year so he could repair his kans.

Yeah right?

James , it sounds like you may be sceptical.

You are welcome to hear for yourself , I can certainly demonstrate the difference it makes to have 1/2 dB too much treble.

Or doesnt this kind of thinking fit into your paradigm?
Not as skeptical as you appear flakey. 1/2dB is not the 1/32dB you originally claimed.

when aligning my system I tune the top end to within 1/32 of a dB.
You are clearly gifted with very good ears if you can tell the difference between 1/32dB of amplitude difference at 20kHz. How on earth do you put up with the crap tonal response of Linn and Naim loudspeakers? At least my paradigm is consistent.

James

P/S: Sorry for crapping on your thread, Teddy, but some wild claims must be countered.

james

I said I could determine the difference that 1/32 of a dB too much treble makes in my system and I stand by that (never mentioned 20khz though)

My claim of 1/2 dB was to DEMONSTRATE the effect to anyone (who may not have my hearing)

it is still by quite a substantial factor less than the 2dB which you claim to be inaudible.

My paradigm has changed many times over the years as I realised that the way I saw the world before was flawed and had to evolve my views to accomodate my experiences.

I hope it changes some more in the future.

David,

The point I was trying to make was simple. The tonal balance of loudspeakers changes depending on your listening axis. Unless you have a full-range perfect point-source, you are doomed to futility. Then when you put such a (yet-to-be-invented) device in a non-anaechoic room, you can be assured of forever chasing your own tail.

My paradigm is simple. If it sounds good, it must be.

James

advertisement

Back