advertisement

Scaling up from Harbeth P3ESR?

I have the Orchestra Reference SE. I have had it for 3 years now, with no desire to change. I was box swapping quite a lot before, albeit having fun doing so. The Jadis sounded different to anything else I had had heard. Croft, Naim, Devialet, Sugden, Luxman, Lavardin, Yamaha, and more. I heard and owned quite a few, interesting journey but as soon as the Jadis arrived I was taken! It was hard to describe the sound, and I’m very accustomed to it now, but anything else sounded kind of flat and grey in comparison.

That’s what happens when I have tried other speakers too. Agree with your comments about finding it hard to move on from P3ESR, other speakers don’t seem to do what they do. If I try anything else, it will certainly be with caution!

Graham could be an option. No takers on the new Spendors then?

Well FWIW the Tannoys are the first speakers to give me as much pleasure as the little Harbeths did. They ought to be a good match with the Jadis too, though I note Art Dudley thought your amp paired particularly well with Devores...

Yes, the Devores would be nice. Some Gibbon 88, whilst a little tall, would look great.

I should hear the Tannoys at some point. The new Legacy range looks stunning. The Eaton look reasonable in size if the stands were acceptable.

Still keen to hear the Spendor A4 in particular.

I went from P3esrs to 30.1s and found them better in a larger room where the P3s for all their musicality and finesse couldn't project a soundstage in the way I find the 30.1s can. This is to take nothing away from the P3s - magical, wonderful speakers which belie their size. 30.1s less forward and more understated perhaps initially - but totally unfatiguing and super with jazz, chamber music etc. If I have to revert to smaller room would definitely go back to P3s.

I heard the RFC canterburys at paul's house yesterday and they are absolutely sublime. I was there to drop off my eatons, to have the crossovers serviced/upgraded and left wondering if I am wasting my time...

I'd be interested in a brief swap, if you wanted to hear my eatons (once paul as breathed his magic on them). I would love to hear some p3esr, to hear what all the fuss is about...

What did you listen to on the Canterburys, Martian?

Presumably Paul can do custom cabs for the 10" HPD too?

some latin stuff [Buena vista social club?] fat freddy's drop, james blake (on CD - this was absolutely mental. I have never heard bass like this), sojme classical stuff, then finished with smoke on the water - made in japan. all on vinyl.

I didn't ask about new cabs. mine were from redwood studios, so I would probably keep them together, for their history.

my kingdom for a Radford revival power amp and some canterburys, though, I tell you.

James Blake and Fat Freddy's Drop, whodathunkit?! Good stuff.

I've heard my Tannoys with an Eastern Electric M520 as power amp. Pretty excellent. Similar, I gather, to those Radfords, and a good deal cheaper.

Sorry Paul for derailing your thread, I'll shut up now :)

I've heard my Tannoys with an Eastern Electric M520 as power amp. Pretty excellent. Similar, I gather, to those Radfords, and a good deal cheaper.

Sorry Paul for derailing your thread, I'll shut up now :)

But I'll continue (sorry, Paul)... I've heard the RFC Canterbury's with that same M520, which I bought from Tom (Montesquieu). A true audio epiphany. Mullard circuits and Tannoys; anyone who hasn't heard and is interested in the varieties of audio experience just needs to seek out these things. Tom has a house steeped in music, with a harpsichord and clavecin in the hall, so you can hear the real thing alongside the representation. I've not heard such full range fidelity; across the spectrum, without any undue emphasis and such exquisite openness.

I'll stop there and eventually I will start a thread on the RFC Tannoys rather than bang on about them everywhere else. I only go on here because it would be the most perfect step for you, Paul, with such a nice big room. But I realise the desire for discrete adn unobtrusive boxes.

If you can find some Devores, I suspect they would be really good with your Jadis.

But I'll continue (sorry, Paul)... I've heard the RFC Canterbury's with that same M520, which I bought from Tom (Montesquieu). A true audio epiphany. Mullard circuits and Tannoys; anyone who hasn't heard and is interested in the varieties of audio experience just needs to seek out these things. Tom has a house steeped in music, with a harpsichord and clavecin in the hall, so you can hear the real thing alongside the representation. I've not heard such full range fidelity; across the spectrum, without any undue emphasis and such exquisite openness.

I'll stop there and eventually I will start a thread on the RFC Tannoys rather than bang on about them everywhere else. I only go on here because it would be the most perfect step for you, Paul, with such a nice big room. But I realise the desire for discrete adn unobtrusive boxes.

If you can find some Devores, I suspect they would be really good with your Jadis.

Some lovely thoughts there. Mmm.

I was listening to the P3s last night, absolutely wonderful. But, looking forward to some experimentation with Tannoys (and Devores if I could find them!) and anything else through the winter months.

For a big room I'd certainly consider panel speakers.

Although I've been very happy with 3ESRs in our small living room, I do miss the scale provided by Maggies and if I had that space of 5 x 7m, I would definitely consider panels again.

(FWIW my SMGas - new in 1988 - first paycheck! - came with our stuff from South Africa last year, but one has a dead tweeter & it's not been possible to make a proper comparison).

How about these...?

Graham%20LS5-9%201.jpg

Graham%20LS5-9%202.jpg

advertisement

Back