advertisement

Samsung NX300

MartinC

pfm Member
Anyone tried out this camera - APS sized sensor, very compact, interchangable lenses, good reviews. A new model that makes 'selfies' easier is out so the older version can be had for around $500 in the US with a 18-50mm image stabilized lens, seems like a bargain. Probably add a 18mm pancake lens for a really compact option.

Looking for decent image quality without having to lug my DSLR's around when on trips.

Thanks

seen loads of fine photos from it & its cousins

but there again seen loads of fine photos from all types of cameras & seems its hard to buy a bad one

my needs for travel would be better served with a pocket compact with zoom

True, but I have always been frustrated by the image quality from compact cameras using tiny sensors, hence the interest in ones with APS-C size sensors.

Well, took the plunge and ordered the NX300 with the 'kit' 18-55 mm lens and the 16mm pancake lens.

Very nicely built, solid feel. The lack of a viewfinder takes a bit of getting used to, but the rear articulating touch screen is excellent. Rotate it up and its a bit like using a MF camera! Touch focus is pretty cool too, tap the image on the screen and the focus sets to that point.

In a quick test of the kit lens against an older Nikon 18-70 on a D7000 indicates that the lens has very good center resolution, but some decentering at the top left of the image at the widest setting. Haven't really compared the 16mm yet but it appears sharp across the whole frame. Color balance is quite different than the Nikon. Generally the images seem to be as good as the D7000 / 18-70 combo, which is in my view quite an achievement for an almost pocketable compact.

So far a positive verdict and fits the bill nicely for a camera that can be used when lugging a DSLR around is impractical. I'll try and post some comparative images after I get a chance for some more serious shots next week.

advertisement

Back